Heat Shield keeps popping off

Andy Erickson

TVWBB Pro
My heat shield keeps coming off of my new 18 inch Weber whenever I tip over the charcoal bowl to dump the ashes. I think I'm going to crimp or bend the handles in on the brackets so that it stays on better. Anybody else have this problem?

I remember, when Chris was demonstrating the pre-production 22", people were concerned that, while a good idea in terms of safety, the fixed heat shield would perhaps be an issue in terms of cleaning it out if gunk or debris got into it. Depending on how you look at it, your problem might not be a problem.

Only cooked once on my new wsm but have had the same problem when emptying ash out .Would think just bending the tabs up would mend this.Has any body else had problems or any ideas on how to solve it ?

I had the same problem. I thought about bending the tabs but what I did was press the shield snug against the tabs with my thumbs. Problem solved.

Bend the tabs if you want. Or just put the heatshield back on after you dump the bowl if it pops off. Either solution seems pretty simple to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
the fixed heat shield would perhaps be an issue in terms of cleaning it out if gunk or debris got into it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At that point I would simply wipe it out with my hand. I think we are over complicating this "issue" a bit.

Back