Slicing Ribs for Presentation

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
I've never had to worry about slicing ribs for presentation in the past since I've never been in a comp. I'm registered for my first comp in June and wondered if anyone had any tips?

I have sharp Globals but wondered if using a serrated blade would work better.

We only have 2 racks of backs to cook and I need to present at least 6 bones. Should I go with 6 from my best rack or try and get the best I can from each rack to make up 6 (or more).

Presentation boxes are 9 X 9 with no garnish allowed.

Can't answer on the knife question, someone else probably will though.

On the rib question, try to cut along the bone to leave meat on both sides of the bone you are turning in. For example, trim along the bone on the right, your sample is in the middle, and then trim right along the bone on the left to give two good sections of meat on each bone. Make sense?

Are you going to Beachfest, or Blue Mountain?

I run a comp in Listowel in July that does ribs and gr pork if you are interested. Let me know Email address in profile.

Thanks Dave. That makes perfect sense. If I understand, the presentation rib wil have full meat on both the left and right sides. The non presentation ribs will be cut to the bone on one side each.

I'm going to Beachfest (or the Beach BBQ and Brew Festival) and competing in the amateur rib comp on Father's day.

I'm not really a comp guy so I doubt I would attend Listowel unless I catch the comp bug in Toronto
icon_smile.gif

Like Dave said try to cut them with meat on both sides (some call this a Hollywood cut) but I only do that if I'm using BB, I've seen some that turn in 2 bone cuts so the judges can tear them apart for tenderness (it's rare to see that in my area though). If using StL, there's normally enough meat between that you don't have to worry about it. It's best if you can use 1 rack for you turnin but don't count on it. They key is to make them look like they came from the same slab & right next to each other when cutting. I use a Henkel chefs knife but many do use serated edge blades so it all depends on sharpness of the blade on how well it cuts plus your skill in cutting.

I would like to offer a suggestion to regarding what kind of knife to use.

I recommend using a granton edge slicer as opposed to a serrated knife. The granton edge slicer (I use a 12" Forschner) will give you a very clean cut and won't leave any slice marks or patterns on the cut sides of the meat. Using a serrated hand knife may leave behind marks. You can also use an electric knife, most all of which use serrated blades, but the speed of the movement may alleviate the marking issue.

Good luck at your event!

Thanks Vincent. I just looked that up and it is definitely something new (and affordable). I'm going to shop it online and grab one if I can get it affordably delivered.

Edit:

Just bought 2 online through Amazon with free shipping @ $38 per. Going to give one to my Father in Law.

Back