Problem w/ propane flow thru Weber Q

Jay Yurine

TVWBB Member
I've experienced another problem and I would appreciate some advice from some of the experienced grillers. My normal setup is a 20 lb propane tank connected to my Q w/ an adapter hose I purchased from Wal-Mart (I think the brand is grill-mate). After finishing grilling, I disconnect the hose from the propane tank. The hose is always connected to the grill. Recently, after attaching the hose to the propane tank and opening the valve, no propane flowed into the Q. At first, I thought the tank was empty, but I bought a gauge from Wal-Mart (also grill mate) which indicated that the tank was still close to full. When I attach the hose to this gauge that is attached to the tank, the meter suddenly drops to empty. Then, I remove the gauge, screw it back on, close the propane valve and then re-open, and the gauge reads almost full once again. I simply cannot get any propane thru. Has anyone experienced this before? Maybe the hose went bad. I know that I can probably buy another hose. However, the hose is less than a year old. Has anyone suffered problems w/ faulty adapter hoses? Alternatively, could this be a regulator problem? I guess another thing to trouble shoot is to buy one of those 16 oz cannisters and attach it to the Q. If I get propane to go thru to the burners, it rules out any problem w/ the regulator.

Thanks for any advise any of you can provide.

The best advise I can give you is to CALL WEBER. I've had both regulator and/or valve probs with Weber gassers in the past and have been very pleased with their response. Basically, they just send you free parts.

The OPD on propane tanks can be very tricky. It usally results from a burner valve being on when you open the valve on the tank. However, ime, it cuts down the flow of gas, but doesn't cut it off.

Paul

I also have purchased the gauge to show how much propane is left in the tank. My first attempts proved fruitless. Did get one cook in with it connected. Came back 3 days later said I was mt. Took reserve tank back, got a refill, came home low and behold they weighed almost the same. Now my tank gauge sits inside my tool box. I have my smoker dialed it 240 so I shut the tank off and let excess gas burn off. So when I do another cook I usually don't have to touch my settings. With the gauge I had to disconnect everything, make sure everything is shut off, then reconnect, turn on tank and then smoker. If I got lucky it worked. Wife said did ya read the instructions on how to use it? I am a man therefore I do not read instructions lol

An update, I connected a 14.1 oz disposable propane tank into the Q and obtained flow, and was able to light the grill. That rules out the regulator. I also bought another adapter hose, and still no flow. I now suspect that there is something wrong w/ the cylinder valve. I'm going to try to return it and get a replacement.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">again </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
forgive my spelling! I am trying to answer this between calls.

the hose you have has what is called an excess flow valve in it aka "bypass" valve. This device shuts the gas flow down to about 10% when the tank is first turned on. it is mandated by the govenment, we can't alter them (though we would love to get rid of them all together) it is basicly a pressure sensitve valve that takes full pressure on the hose side to open it all the way. from what you are describing, if you atach the hose to the pressure gauge and leave it for a few minutes the gauge should read pressure. BTW, the bypass valve is in the end of the hose where it ataches to the tank so there is a lot of hose that needs to pressureize before it has full flow even at the tip that ataches to the tank.

directions for ALL Q users. before you turn on the burner valve. turn on the tank at least one minute before you atemp to light the grill!

Hope this helps ya out!

I did a cylinder exchange, and now, the grill is working again, so I suspect that the cylinder valve was faulty. Thanks for everyone's help.

I ran into a similar problem with my Q and after a couple calls to Weber CS an agent admitted that the regulator with the Q is "tricky" and can give problems. The solution that worked for me was to hook everything up, turn on the 20# tank and make sure the Q's burner is off. Let everthing sit for a couple of minutes and then give it a try. It seems that the regulator needs a couple of minutes to reach steady state with the larger tank.

I thought I had problems as well with propane flow, I went back to the dealer and was told that the excessive flow safty had been activated and to look in the owners Manual under troubleshooting. According to that you will need to reset the "Excess Flow Safety" by turning the tank valve off, disconnect the regulator. Turn all burner knobs to HIGH, wait one minute, turn all knobs to OFF, reconnect the regulator and open the tank valve slowly. Then relight according to "Lighting Instructions". This always works for me.

Back