Anise & Cinnamon Infused Creme Brulee Pears

Classic Creme Brulee

4 Egg Yolks
4 Tablespoons of white sugar
2 Tablespoons light brown sugar- firmly packed
Pinch of salt
1 1/4 cups of heavy cream
1 Vanilla bean - 4 inch - Cut in half lengthwise

Set up a double boiler at a very slow boil, making sure the top bowl does not touch the water. In the top of the double boiler, whisk the yolks, sugar, and salt - stirring occasionally In another saucepan, heat the cream and vanilla bean to a boil. Remove from the heat and add to the yolks very very slowly, whisking as you drizzle it in. Continue to cook the mixture in the double boiler until it coats a wooden spoon without running off quickly (about 20-30 mins). You must be patient during this time, be sure to stir gently once in a while so that the mixture will cook evenly and does not coagulate.

When thickened strain the mixture into a clean bowl and cool on the counter for about 10-15 mins. Cover the bowl with a paper towle and then plastic wrap. Put it in the fridge and chill for 2 hours.

Serves 4

Anise & Cinnamon Infused Pears

Classic Creme Brulee
4 Ripe Pears
1/4 Cup Light Brown Suagr
2 Tablespoons of Butter
4 Cinnamon Sticks
4 Whole Star Anise
1/4 Cup Orange Marmalade
1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Walnuts - Toasted
2 Tablespoons of Pear Brandy or Galliano Liqueur

Make the basic creme brulee at the top. Refridgerate for at least 2 hours. Preheat the oven to 350F. Leaving the steam and top of the neck intact, peel the pears. With a melon baller, scoop out the seed core from the bottom. Blend the brown sugar and butter and stuff it into the scooped out cavity of each pear. Then imbed one cinnamon stick and one star anise piece deep into the center of the butter filling.

Place the pears, standing, in a small baking pan or dish. Reserve the half of the marmalde and smear the remaining portion on the peeled surface of the pears. Bake uncovered for 20-30 mins.

While the pears are baking, toaste the walnuts in a frying pan over high heat. Be sure to stir and keep doing so until they are toasted and smell browned. Then pour on to a cool plate.

Remove the baked pears from the pan to a plate, then cover, and chill for 1 hour. To the syrup in the baking pan, add 1/3 cup of water and 2 tablespoons of liqueur - boil gently till you reduce to a spoonable sauce.

Remove the spices from the pears. Fill each pear with the brulee custard and brush some marmalade on the pears and roll in the nuts. Stand the pear on your serving plate and cut the top off of the pear. Spread a spoonful of custard on top of each of the cut pear surface. Top off with 1 teaspoon of suagr or brulee sugar and torch the top to caramelize. A regular ole blow torch works well. Put the top back on the pears. Lastly, drizzle some sauce around each pear and serve.

Serves 4

You can do this with Apples also. We have done this in the BBQ also. Instead of the oven just use the BBQ. With the apples I added some apple wood to the smoker. I also did the same with the pears. I don't know where this recipe came from. Someone gave it to my wife.

You can see photos of in at: Click on Photo to View

--Adrian

Adrian,
Thank you very much for posting this. When I saw the pictures I was stunned! Hope they taste as good as they look! Thanks again!

Frank
icon_biggrin.gif

Back