Themometer

DTinley

TVWBB Member
Ok, Here is the loaded question.

What temp gauge should I buy for my WSM and where should I mount it

I have been using a cheap therm from Wall Mart for the past year or so in the lid vent, and the BBQ Guru to hole temps.
I have 2 Nu-Temp remotes sitting in the garage unused for that length of time. When I was using them, they worked great.

Bob T do you just stick the themometer in the top vents?

Also when cooking and they talk about temp.

I am assuming the temp is different from the grate level and the lid level?

Yep, I just stick it into the top vent about 2". It came with a clip, and I just clip it to the tab on the vent.
Lid temps can vary compared to the different grates, but that depends on if you are using water in the pan, sand, or the piedmont, or if you use a Guru or Stoker.
Bottom line also, take the lid off as few times as possible. That helps keeps temps balanced throughout the WSM.

I should have also mentioned that instead of using remote therms, I use a thermapen instant read thermo to check temps when I think they are getting close to being done.

My BBQ Bride picked up a couple of digital probe therms from Wallyworld. I use one in the meat, one wired to the grate for grate temp. So far, so good. I can't remember the brand of the therms, but they were around $12 to $13 each.

DTinley, for monitoring meat temps, a probe thermometer works well. Many like the Maverick ET 73. I have a Taylor probe with a wireless monitor that works well for me, but I don't think is manufactured any more. The eyelets from BBQ guru are a handy way to run your probe wires without going through the vent or under the lid. I also have a very nice thermometer from BBQ guru that fits in the lid vent but can also be used equally well in the kettle for high heat indirect cooking.

I am assuming with the eyelete you are running some type of probe from the outside of the grill into the meat?

Making sure a turkey gets up to 167F or so

Yes, the eyelet is used to run the probe wire from outside the grill where the main unit rests. The probe can be used to monitor the internal temperature of the meat, or it can be used to monitor the temperature at the cooking grate.

Thank you for the info.

What probe is recomended to run through the eyelete?

Sorry for all the questions.

I have been a gaser my whole life. I was in the Cayman island for 2 weeks and we BBQ'd with charcoal. I am hooked. My WSM is on a UPS truck on it's way to Denver

Is the eyelet an easy install item?

also is it posible to use 2? One for meat temp and one for grill temp or is that just overkill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DTinley:
Is the eyelet an easy install item?

also is it posible to use 2? One for meat temp and one for grill temp or is that just overkill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are easy to install. Takes you longer to read the instructions.

I used to fit 3 probes through one eyelet. Stick them through one at a time. I have 2 on mine. Never used both of them at the same time. Now I don't use either lol, but they are there if I need them.

I can get two probes in mine, so I only installed one. If I can do this install in 5 minutes it must be VERY easy.

Another thermometer many like is the Nu Temp which has a special promotion going on currently.

DTinley, I also place a standard fry thermo ($7 @ wallyworld)through my eyelet. It sits right under the top rack. Just cut a cork in half and place a section on either side of your WSM, run the stem right through the corks to keep it steady.

I mounted a thermometer in my WSM, but if I had to do it over again, I would not. I would use a digital thermometer instead and run the probe cable under the lid. Simpler, less invasive, and cheaper.

guys, I just saw a bullet for sale that has wood handle and what looks like a thermometer for sale that I have emailed them to acquire. But looking at these threads it seems that the webers weren't made with thermometers. Think more than likely this cat did the thermometer mod??

Adrian

here's a pic, is it or is it not??

yndiolobo

I think you can safely assume the thermometer was added. Lots of people like the lid-mounted thermometer. If you like it, great. If not, just ignore it. Since the hole is already there, you can always upgrade to a nicer thermometer if you want.

Back