cold smoking

J Sutter

Hi- I've read a fair amount from this website about adapting the WSM for cold smoking.
Specifically, the idea seems to be cooking some wood chips on a hotplate in a cardboard box, then piping the smoke into the WSM to allow the smoke to cool. This just seems backwards to me.
Why wouldn't you make some smoke in the WSM (that is, after all, what it was made for) and pipe it into the cardboard box instead? No buying a hotplate, no ruining a cast iron skillet. It would seem easy enough to rig a cover for the WSM that you could attach the dryer duct to...

Any ideas why this wouldn't work?
Thanks
Jed Sutter

I don't have a need to do that, I just maintain a small fire and I can stay below 100F.

Doing my annual cheese smoke today, I give a bunch away for xmas but ambient temp today will be around 25F.

I could see the need to do this though if you lived somewhere that rarely got below 70F, or you want to do long cold smokes ... maintaining a tiny fire is tedious and a pita

To your question no I don't see a problem. If I was gonna do a lot of it I'd consider buying a Bradley smoke unit or similar ... the one that uses their pucks. I'd hook it up to my WSM, or maybe a dead fridge or the cardboard box thing. That way I wouldn't have to burn charcoal.

Shawn,

Would you consider posting some pics of your cheese smoke? I'm interested and I believe several others here are as well.
icon_cool.gif

Bill

Shawn -
Thanks for the reply. I live just outside Boston, MA so it gets reasonably cold here, too. I just didn't think I could get the WSM in the 40-80 degree F that I would need for smoking some pork bellies. Never having done it I don't know how critical the max temp is...
Jed

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Shawn,

Would you consider posting some pics of your cheese smoke? I'm interested and I believe several others here are as well.
icon_cool.gif

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, see this thread

Back