Cascobel
Chipotle
De Arbol
Guajillo
Jalapeno
Pasilla
Green Peppercorns
Red Peppercorns

Outside of that, I have a pretty well stocked traditional herb / spice selection.

I'm looking for recipes (not BBQ as I'm getting comfortable here) that utilize these types of spices. I'm not a big fish person but enjoy a good white fish. Chicken is always welcome. Soups, stews, chilis and goulash are great.

I know this is a very general question but any input, links or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JDH

Couple things: make a house chile powder by grinding mixing all together, going lighter on the hotter chiles and heavier on the milder chiles. When a recipe calls for chile powder use your house blend. If you keep it mild you can always adjust the heat up as you like. Make small batches and keep track of quantity of ingredients used so you can remake if you come up with a mix you really like.

Pick up a good southwest/mexican cookbook that calls for specific chiles.

Try Kevin's Portugeese Molho recipe with your bird's eye chiles. Its outstanding.

Try a chicken tortilla soup like this one. I like to use fine chopped guajillo for this.

Use one kind at a time in a fresh salsa recipe to get to know them individually.

Back