Q300/320

TOM BAUER

TVWBB Pro
I have been looking for some user comments about these two grills. Can someone post a message that describes how well/or not, they work for them. I only have a Char Broil gasser and am looking to step up to a Weber.
Thanks

They work real well for doing steaks, chops, and anything else that gets grilled at high heat.

The do a decent job grilling indirectly but they are not as versatile as a grill that has many straight burner like the larger Weber grills.

The only complaint I have with mine is the that the grates are hard to clean. However the design of the grate cooks food well.

Tom
The Q300 series BBQs are absolutely fantastic to cook on, You can cook just about anything on them including bread, cakes, deserts. Smoking on them is a little more difficult bat can be done. Get a small metal tray and punch a few holes in it and put a wire rack of some description in it. Place a few lighted pieces of lump or heatbeads in the tray and some smoking wood on top. Just use the centre burner on it's lowest setting and set the Q300 up for indirect cooking using the foil and trivet method.

Works easy.

The grills are relatively easy to clean. You should season them first. You can soak them in warm soapy water if you like but remember to dry, heat and season them after doing this.
If mine are real dirty I just put a doubled over sheet of foil on them with something to hold them down and turn it on full blast for 10 minutes then brush it down. Works a treat.

Cheers

Hi Phil,
I have a Q320 ordered that is being delivered tomorrow, and I was reading this forum to see how to season the grates before my first use. You mention here that we should season the grates.
Can you tell me how to season the Q300 grates for a newbie? I've seasoned raw cast iron but not porcelain coated stuff like these. Thanks!

Susie,
The grates on the Q trills are raw CI, not porcelain coated like om the (non-portable) gas grills. Season the say tu have done in the past, and all will be just fine.
Good Luck, I Maure hole tu like your Q300 as much as I love my Q200!
Tim

Originally posted by Suzi Boyer:
Hi Phil,
I have a Q320 ordered that is being delivered tomorrow, and I was reading this forum to see how to season the grates before my first use. You mention here that we should season the grates.
Can you tell me how to season the Q300 grates for a newbie? I've seasoned raw cast iron but not porcelain coated stuff like these. Thanks!

Hi Suzi

I don't frequent this forum as much as I used to I am always busy moderating on the Aussie BBQ forum but logged in here today.

The best way to season the grill is to Pre heat for 10 minutes on high and then Turn off and spray the grills with cooking oil ( both sides) while still hot - use gloves so you don't burn your hands. let the grills cool and then repeat twice more. season again (just spray twice from now on) everytime you wash the grills and if you notice that the grills have a white/grey powder like coating or are dull after indirect cooking. It is important to have a bit of oil on them to stop the rust.

When you heat them up and spray with oil, as they cool down the oil is drawn into the grain of the Cast iron and inhibits the galvanic between the dissimilar metal grains in the CI thus preventing rust.

Do not use olive oil as the spray oil use a high temp neutral oil such as veggetable oil, canola, ricebran or grapeseed. Oilive oil has a low smoke point and tends to blacken and go gunky. I never use OO when grilling or high temp cooking on the BBQ.

Cheers

Just a follow-up. I purchased a Q 300 spring of 2011 and really enjoyed gooking on it. I use it even more than my Performer and Smokey Mountain because of its ease in setting up. This winter I was able to pick up a Q 320 off Craigslist for $120.and took it to our vacation cabin on Hood Canal. Both work equally well the only difference being the different igniters on each and the light and rack on the Q320. To get somewhat of a smoke flavor, I have been using chips wrapped in aluminum foil. They will never replace my charcoal units, but for what they can do, they can't be beat. I also use GrillGrates with them and believe I get a better sear, no flair-ups and able to use a little lower heat setting. The grates that come with the grills do pretty good by themselves. I don't believe you will be disappointed with either unit!!

Originally posted by Phil Hartcher:

Do not use olive oil as the spray oil use a high temp neutral oil such as veggetable oil, canola, ricebran or grapeseed.

Any thoughts about coconut oil? I dont have anything but coconut and olive oil in the house - doesnt mean I cant go buy some... But if the coconut is OK, I may use that anyway.

Just a follow-up. I purchased a Q 300 spring of 2011 and really enjoyed gooking on it. I use it even more than my Performer and Smokey Mountain because of its ease in setting up. This winter I was able to pick up a Q 320 off Craigslist for $120.and took it to our vacation cabin on Hood Canal. Both work equally well the only difference being the different igniters on each and the light and rack on the Q320. To get somewhat of a smoke flavor, I have been using chips wrapped in aluminum foil. They will never replace my charcoal units, but for what they can do, they can't be beat. I also use GrillGrates with them and believe I get a better sear, no flair-ups and able to use a little lower heat setting. The grates that come with the grills do pretty good by themselves. I don't believe you will be disappointed with either unit!!

How are the Grill Grates positioned, with the CI grate removed or on top of it?

I have been placing the GrillGrates over the CI grates. It seems to work pretty well. Before I picked up the GG's I used a CI griddle with the wavy side up for grill marks and also on top of the Q grates. Great marks, but no place for fat and liquids to go. I always think to myself, by not using the Q grates, they will last longer without the salts from cooking so that's my reason for using extra grates. I still season the Q grates occasionally but so far they look in pretty good shape.

Back