Keurig coffee maker

Jerry Pollard

TVWBB Super Fan
Anyone use the Keurig one cup coffee maker? Wife wants one for her birthday. Cant refuse, after all the Weber stuff i've purchased over the past year. She is a real coffee drinker. But the coffee maker costs around $150. the coffee seems "expensive", maybe that's how i'll tell her i need the new 22'' WSM!!! (but i really "don't)

I've used them at work (the "commercial" version). It makes sense for a work environment where everyone can get a different flavor/type of coffee. Also, the "pot" is always fresh since you're making it on demand.

However, I never could find a coffee flavor that I actually liked (and we had probably a dozen different ones). I believe with the home version of the Keurig they make a "refillable" cup that you can put your own coffee in.

I personally don't like being locked into the supplied k-cup coffees. Not sure how convenient the refillable k-cup is, but that would let you choose your own coffee and control costs also.

I have had one of these for about three years, (also sold them for a while) and love it. They brew at a high temp, in less than 60 seconds and with an optional " My K Cup" you can fill it with your own coffee. I order my K Cups from Green Mountain, they send a shipment every 6 weeks. Not the least expensive way to make coffee, but I was stopping at Starbucks each day, and I've stopped that, so I'm way ahead, cost wise.

You can also get teas and hot chocolate, which my wife and kids use.

All in all a great machine.

In my opinion (excuse me but my coffee snob is showing
icon_rolleyes.gif
) they do a decent job of brewing, but their coffee is stale by he time it gets to you. Buy her the Mu K-Cup resusable basket and an inexpensive grinder and then get beans from a local roaster. You'll be much happier with the results.

I have one, and everyone seems to like it.

I am by no means a snob, but everyone likes that they can have a different flavor, and even tea.

The My K kup is also an option if you have a regular flavor you want.

Its not the cheapest but thier is really no waste, and thier are alot of different coffes you can try.
We never had a maker before, as wife doesnt drink it neither did I, but now everyone, likes having thier coffee after a nice Q dinner.. I stick with my beverages though.

I totally agree with Ron (with perhaps the exception of getting a cheap grinder...while good ones are very expensive, a hand mill grinder with conical burrs can be had for less that $100)...Either find a local roaster or order on-line for fresh beans (or roast your own). Much, much better than any commercial coffee. Although I admit I am a coffee snob (as well as now a BBQ snob). This is a good site for some resources/reviews. http://coffeegeek.com/

Back