Best Wrap for ABT?

Michael L.

TVWBB Fan
So, I've made ABT's before.. they're always been good. They're pretty hard to mess up as far as flavor goes. But they've not always been the prettiest to look at. I always have a hard time keeping the bacon on the peppers.

I started a new job, and tomorrow we're having a pot luck and I'm taking ABT's. So I wanted to get some input on the best way to wrap em so they stay tight and most importantly... ON.

Thanks.
icon_smile.gif

You can: use thin-sliced bacon as it is easier to wrap and is stretchier; slice the bacon slices in half lengthwise, making them easier to manage while wrapping; use toothpicks to hold the bacon in place while cooking; place the bacon into a pan of simmering water for a couple minutes prior to wrapping, which will make the bacon cook faster and crisp sooner (if that's an issue); or a combination of the above.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">place the bacon into a pan of simmering water for a couple minutes prior to wrapping, which will make the bacon cook faster and crisp sooner (if that's an issue); or a combination of the above. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Kevin, do you believe this is possible smokin' the ABTs as opposed to placing on or over direct heat?

Yes. Just dry the bacon well before wrapping. If your smoke temps will be low, add a minute or two to the simmering. You might need to raise temps somewhat for crisping if you're cooking low, but going direct isn't necessary.

Thank you very much... I will try this. I haven't cut them lengthwise before and I think that will help a lot.

I'll try and remember to take pics, and reply with the comments.

Ok, thanks Kevin, for the tip on simmering the bacon. Cutting lengthwise should also be helpful. I've been microwaving the bacon briefly (30 secs. ?) to help get crispiness, but that can be rather delicate.

Another alternative for ABTs, especially for a crowd, is to cut the jalapenos lengthwise after first cutting off the stem right at the end of the pepper. Make an incision across the seed pod inside the stem end and the pod and veins will come out easily with a spoon.

Filling and wrapping can be done the same as with a whole stuffed jalapeno or you can cut the bacon (not sliced lengthwise) into 2 or three parts and lay on top for the grilling/smoking. The melting cheese will bond the bacon on top.

If you're making whole ABTs, a pepper rack and a corer will make the whole preparation process a lot easier. I prefer to just stuff with a small spoon and skewer to push down despite all the advice I've seen for using a cookie press or plastic bag with a corner cut -- they just make a mess to me.

Rich

so.. it's hard to take pictures "while" you're making these guys. I found my hands were too messy to think about picking up my camera. So here's just an after shot.

ABTS002.jpg

These were stuffed with cream cheese, chorizo, and some cajun seasoning. Like all ABT's I got heaps of praise on them with comments like.. "Unbelievable" and "Amazing".

Thanks for the wrapping tips. They stayed on better. I tried to first fold it over the opening in an attempt to keep the stuffing in, but some of them came off and some stuffing melted out. Still.. they were yummy.

Back