Breakfast Sausage Recipe Please . . .

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
I've been doing a lot of searching on the net for a good recipe for breakfast sausage. I'm thinking of plump, porky, slightly sweet sausage that used to be readily available before even southern diners switched to revolting finger-sized mass-produced "links". I'm looking for a recipe for 5 pounds of shoulder. Any help would be appreciated.

Also -- I notice that with good breakfast sausage, the casings are almost paper thin. Does this come from drying the sausage after stuffing, or from slow cooking?

Thanks in advance.

OK, I know that this may be slightly sacriligious on a "charcuterie" forum, but:

If you are ever in the mood for some quick, but IMHO, tasty breakfast sausage - pick up a package from Omaha Steaks.

We tried some recently, and I thought that they were really good, juicy, and went perfectly with made-from-scratch pancakes.

From what I know, most breakfast sausage is not smoked or cured - just mixed-up with the ground pork and spices, stuffed, and cooked. I like a little sage in mine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Does this come from drying the sausage after stuffing, or from slow cooking? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont' think most dry their breakfast sausage, rather it's cooked fresh. The thinner casing is probably due to the smaller size (19mm-22mm) and is many times a sheep casing.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Correll:
Stone,
Check here, and here.

HTH </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Excellent. Thank you.

Back