Thermometer at cooking grate

Erik G

TVWBB Pro
I am thinking about smoking a brisket relatively soon.
Since I had trouble with temps. during my last cook, I would like to install (permanently if possible) a thermometer at the cooking grate. How does everyone have theirs set up? What kind of thermometer is used? Remember, I'll be smoking an entire packer, therefore I'll have limited space, so a thermometer through a potato would likely be out of the question. Thanks.

Erik

In my WSM i use connectors like this one

SS-810-61.jpg

Then i can use the Weber gasgrill spare part thermometers wich are not too expensive.
I can change them very easy and i can also stick probes of the Maverick ET-73 or other digital thermos through the hole.

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/7606/wsm00002mediumwr1.jpg

img0002mediumik4.jpg

The probes are long enough to get far into the smoker, and if you place the about 1/2 inch below the grate they wont take away you cooking space but still read correct.

DM

Don, thanks for responding. Is there anyway you can take a picture of the thermometer probe inside the WSM? I would like to see how it looks and exactly where it's located. I am assuming you have no problems with the higher temps around the water pan since you stated the probe is long enough.

Erik

Back