Probe Eyelets

Rick Garcia

TVWBB Member
Thinking of ordering some "eyelets" from the BBQ Guru and wondering if they are hard to install and is there any increase of air entering the WSM when they are installed? Also, in order to make this more cost effective due to mailing costs to Costa Rica, what other assessories should I order from the BBQ Guru?

Rick

WSM, OTG 22 1/2" with Smokenator

Rick, they're very easy to install. What I read most about problems is when people install them inside out or tighten it so much it cracks the porcelean. I can post a few pics if this would help..

As far as what else to purchase, the list is endless. LOL Really, can't answer without knowing what you have/don't have/need, etc..

Bill

Well, the BBQ Guru DigiQ II is pretty handy to use on the OTG (I haven't used one on the WSM).

Also, the thermometer w/ silicone plug to insert in the WSM vent hole.

Their gloves, which are great for handling/pulling meat (innerlined w/ cotton).

No need to be concerned with the very small amount of air that can enter through the eyelets. I have two installed, and when I finish cooking, I shut all the vents and the fire goes out. Also, you can always plug the eyelet holes with a little piece of foil if you really want to try to make the WSM as air-tight as possible.

Rick,

As the others have said, the eyelets are very easy to install and there's really no concern on air moving in or out. One thing I did to stabilize a fry thermo, is cut a cork in 2 and slide the probe through each half. Understand that 1 half of the cork will be on each side of the WSM. This just keeps the thermo from sagging.
This pic helps http://home.austin.rr.com/kida/thermo%20004.jpg

I was able to install my eyelets without a problem in less than 10 minutes and I am the most cautious, least handy guy that I know.

Back