Old School Genesis

JRPfeff

TVWBB Guru
I just purchased this 1995 Genesis 1000LX from a retiree who is downsizing for a move to Florida. It appears to be the equivalent of today's Silver B model.

The previous owner said he stored it indoors and only used it occasionally. It shows. He even threw in the half-full LP tank.

I am curious about the Flavorizer(TM) bar configuration. This one has long and short bars at right angles, as opposed to only the long bars in the current model.

Has anyone removed the short bars from an older Genesis to be like today's models? Does it help the cooking at all?

Jim

Jim,

I have a Genesis 2000 that's a couple years older than yours ~ It's identical except for the wider frame and right side shelf. I've enjoyed mine for many years and only a few years ago had to finally replace the flavorizer bars with SS and upgraded the grates to PCI (very nice sear). I stored mine covered but out in the elements for many years in Orlando before moving here and except for the grates and bars rusting, the rest is still original. She cooks a little cool an inch or 2 from the sides and indirect cooking can be a challenge because of the burner configuration but once you get use to her, I think you'll be happy.

Since the flavorizer bars only come in complete sets, I'm curious as to why you would want to remove the short bars.

Bill,

The reason I asked is that Weber must have ditched the short bars on the current models for a reason. Maybe for better cooking or maybe for cost savings. If it cooks better, I can update my grill with a set of the current long bars and not pay for the short ones.

I've already purchased a set of PCI grates. Do the stainless Flavorizer bars make a difference?

Jim

I see ~ Wasn’t aware that the Silver bars would fit. Are the burners on the Silver and similar grills still horizontal or are they now vertical? My thinking is that the cross-hatched flavorizer bars help in heat distribution with the horiz burners but if they’re now vertical and Weber is using only the horiz bars, maybe the heat distribution is similar ~ Don’t know.

I noticed no difference between the stainless bars and the porcelain-enameled bars ~ I purchased them more for the longevity.

Have fun with your new Genesis.
icon_cool.gif

I had a Genesis 2000 prior to my Silver B. I am guessing the new set up probably is less expensive for Weber. However, it does work well and cheaper to replace the flavorizer bars when necessary. I wouldn't switch to the horizontal bars, alone. I think the cook box on the old Genesis was deeper than the current model and I would stick with the set up Weber designed. While I don't have a flare up problem, I'm thinking the old design was even more efficient in that regard. However, I think my new one gets to a hgher temp.

Your grill looks to be in great shape. I had mine for 12 years and took care of it, but the cart developed a good deal of rust - maybe a Florida thing.

Paul

Bill - The bars on the Silver B are horizontal (they run parallel with the burners and cover them). They look close, but I'm not sure they will fit. I would measure before I buy them. Anyway, my existing bars are in good shape for now.

Paul - You nailed it. I spoke with Weber Customer Service and they confirmed that I can get better direct heat if I remove the short bars, but the short ones help with indirect cooking. I may take out half the short ones to see if I can get the best of both on one grill.

That Florida environment is brutal on steels. I once reviewed a NASA study that shows stainless steels will rust in FL coastal areas (like launch complexes on Cape Canaveral). I expect that there will be a lot of disappointed people with cheap SS grills in FL when they start to rust.

Jim

I am not sure what year I got my Genesis 2000. Looks like this will be the year to replace the cast bottom. I am thinking about parts of the frame that look like they are rusting. I usually go look at prices of comp. grills and order what I need.

IMHO, Weber took out the short bars to cheapen up the grill.

What the hay. from enginering (sp)

All Pre-2000 Genesis/Plat. Set 9813 Long 40822201 Long bars 23 3/8" #of long bars 5 Short 40822202 15 7/8" #of short bars 8

Genesis Silver B/C 00-05 Set 9817 Long 85878 Long bars 22 1/2" Short bars N/A

They are not interchangable. You could just eliminate the short bars but since the pitch is smaller (?) the long bars alone don't distribute heat as well. If you held the two sets of bars side by side you would see the older sets are about half as tall as the newer ones. Basicly the new bars are just as efficent as the older sets but cost the company about half as much to produce. HOWEVER, I have noticed the new bars don't last as long as the older ones. As a matter of fact. The warranty on a Gen 1000 had a 3yr warranty on the flavorizer bars. The Gen Silver B only has a one year warranty on the flavorizer bars.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Osborn:
What the hay. from enginering (sp)

All Pre-2000 Genesis/Plat. Set 9813 Long 40822201 Long bars 23 3/8" #of long bars 5 Short 40822202 15 7/8" #of short bars 8

Genesis Silver B/C 00-05 Set 9817 Long 85878 Long bars 22 1/2" Short bars N/A

They are not interchangable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe,

Thanks for the information, interesting about the older bars durability. The bars on my 1995 grill are still in good shape.

You might want to be careful about what information you share with us. You never know what will get the corporate "suits" excited.

Jim

FYI, The reason I know of this sight is because someone saw this sight and "modified" there WSM and tried to have warranty replacements sent to them. It didn't happen. The "suites" know of all of these sights.

Back