New family member; can the grates be saved?

Tom A.

TVWBB Member
I picked a 1997 Weber 900 off of Craigs for $25. It needs a new gas line/regulator, new igniter, new warming rack, and missing the wire basket on the bottom of the grill unit.

Here are some pics:
P1010016.jpg

inside
P1010017.jpg

Here is what the cast iron grates looks like:
P1010019.jpg

P1010018.jpg

Can the grates be salvaged or should I just purchase new PCI grates?

Thanks,
T

Looks just like mine has at different times over the years
icon_smile.gif
I've restored it several times with new shelves, grates, starters, and flavorizor bars. I've gone to all SS parts though. It's my most used Weber (one of 3). There's a couple of places on the internet that have really resonable parts prices. Sorry I can't remember thier name.

I think I'd replace those grates, they look to be flaking pretty deeply so cleaning them after cooking could be more difficult, even after removal of the rust and seasoning the grates again.

I rebuilt one just like it a couple of summers ago. The parts are all still readily available, the only hiccup I found was that I needed to get a fitting adapter for the new regulator. The old "quick connect" regulator used a different size fitting than the newer ones that are used with OPD tanks.

I second the recommendation to go stainless with the flavorizer bars, there is a guy on e-bay who sells a heavier gage version that are priced comparably to the Weber version as well. The burners don't look too bad so if they're working well and not corroded you can probably keep them going for a while. I found the burners didn't need replacement as often as other parts.

When I rebuilt mine, I went with PCI grates and they made for some fantastic grill marks, I was concerned about the porcelain eventually flaking off though so if I had to do it over again, I'd go with the stainless rod grates for their ease of cleanup, they don't retain heat quite as well as the PCI but they're pretty worry free.

Congratulations on your find, I'm sure it will still be going many years from now

My grates looked like that and I used a bead blaster then reseasoned them, the rusty flakes vanished! Not as good as new, but a lot of life left in them.
No need to replace the supply line, just remove the Male quick release fitting at the regulator and put a new OPD tank fitting on. Its called an Acme fitting by Mr Heater (@ $6-8) at Ace Hardware.

100_1722.jpg

Seeing Red! I'm not a big gasser fan, but my wife loves "her grill".

Brian,

Nice Performer.

I wish you would have posted earlier! I purchased a new supply line for 16 and had to purchase additional fittings to bring it down from 3/8 to 1/4. I also went with the PCI grates with a 10% off coupon from HD.

I'll post pics of the whole family this weekend.

T

i've been meaning to ask. are these types of gas grills good ones to get as oppossed to the newer styles? i kinda like the squared off look. i'm not a gasser kinda guy but would like to get a good one from craigslist and go from there. any recommendations?? thanks,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff S:
Why does red always have to be a bad color? They fixed it for M&M's....Can't weber do the same? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's wrong with the red? I think it looks great, only second to my Blue platinum
icon_cool.gif

Back