Another Stuffed Cherry Pepper Recipe request...sorry

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
Besides baking or grilling my peppers,I want to stuff them with cheese and prosciutto and put them in the refrigerator. All the recipes online say stuff them and fill the jar with olive oil and refrigerate. Doesn't olive oil harden in the frig? Is there a way to give them a long shelf life? Would another kind of oil work better? I thought of canning them but how can I pour hot liquid in the jar without melting the chesse? Anyone know how to make these and store them for months?

I am working so only have brief moments to read or write. I looked for someone on line who does it the way I do so that I could just post a link rather than write it all out. Bingo.

Thanks Kevin, I also saw this recipe but using breadcrumbs kind of turned me off. I have enough peppers so I could try it on some and see if I like them. The recipe I was looking for used cheese and prosciutto. I've bought them at stores. They come in bottles. They are sealed at the factory and don't have to be refrigerated until opened. It seems like they are just in oil. I never looked at the ingredients list. If they can do it there how do I do it at home. I would think it must be some kind of pickleing process.

The ones you buy from commercial producers are heat-processed to kill c. botulinium and its spores. You can do this at home for shelf-stable storage but you need a pressure canner and to follow the procedures applicable to that. Contrary to what the Denver Post article says, failure to abide by these precautions will expose you to the risk of very serious food-borne infections or toxins. You will probably be OK but it's reckless at best.

That comment above is really only applicable to oil-preserved peppers. If you preserve/pickle them in a brine of acid and salt the same safety concerns aren't as prevalent.

Commercially prepared peppers will have a longer shelf life in most cases.

Acidifying the peppers first - an important first step - is sufficient to take care of pathogens. Still, shelf life might be shortened if things like cheese and meat are used, especially since neither of these are added till after the peppers are acidified.

I mostly preserve peppers by acidification/pickling and store them unfilled, much preferring to fill them for serving rather than ahead of time.

I do have peppers that I canned a couple of weeks ago. I canned them whole with the seeds. I saw one recipe that said to soak the whole peppers in white vinegar for a week. Then stuff them and put them in olive oil and refrigerate. Going back to my original question... how do you keep olive oil from soidifying in the frig? Would adding a little bit of vinegar to it help or mixing half olive oil and half canola oil?

While I have your attention. If I am going to stuff and bake some of my peppers, should I blanch them first for a minute or two before putting them in the oven?

No need to blanch.

You cannot keep good olive oil from solidifying. You can try a 'light' olive oil but I wouldn't want to give up the flavor. Simply sit the jr on the counter for 20 min or gently heat and the oil will return to normal.

Try some with the breadcrumbs and see if you like them. For shorter term storage you can go the cheese route, but mostly I just pickle and store that way. It's easy to make a filling and fill when you need them, the filling does not get oil saturated (a good thing, imo), and you can tweak the filling in whatever way you want at the moment, rather than be stuck with one version.

I'm going to do it your way Kevin. The heck with trying to stuff them and putting them in oil. As you said , I can tweek the filling according to how I feel at the time and what sort of meal I'm preparing. I am going to try the breadcrumbs.

Really. As quickly as you can throw together a stuffing with on-hand stuff, it's worth pickling empty (do try a few bread ones and see what you think). Toss a few items into a processor, mince or purée, adjust seasoning; done. Pipe or fill with a little spoon and serve or plate and wait, depending on your time. The filling will have much more bang for the buck freshly made.

I did pickle three jars in a regular pickling solution with vinegar and water and garlic so I'm all set with that. I just wanted to try some stuffed ones with oil. Now I need a sausage recipe to stuff them with that I will ask on the recipes forum.

Back