Competition Ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris G.

TVWBB Member
Note from the moderator:

There has been some concern noted by members of the bulletin board community that portions of this recipe, especially the dry rub recipe, closely parallels a published recipe by Chris Lilly, the head chef of Big Bob Gibson's Competition Barbecue Team.

As stated on the TVWB Disclaimers page, this site makes a strong effort to attribute recipes and ideas to those who develop them. Please keep this in mind as you enjoy this excellent recipe.

Regards,
Chris Allingham

----------------------

I recently won a rib competition, at a small corn fest last fall with my Weber. Here it is for all to try---

3 stage Competition Ribs on the Weber "Smokey Mountain Smoker"

STAGE I

Start with 2 Premium Loin Baby Back Rib slabs. Do not use pre-packaged market ribs. These ribs have sodium added, and can adversely affect flavor.

Remove middle and top sections of the Weber Smoker, and start 9-12 lbs of good charcoal in the bottom as directed. Leave bottom vents open.

Mix the following as a rub stage:

1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup paprika
2 tablespoons garlic salt
2 tablespoons onion salt
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
1 teaspoon cumin

To prepare the ribs, remove the inner membrane by grabbing a corner with a dry paper towel, and peeling back. Cut each slab in half. Trim any excess fat, rinse ribs in very cold water, and pat dry.

Note: In competition, the lateral "meat band" may be trimmed off for better presentation, and to allow the judges to handle the ribs better, but is not needed for home use.

With the rub, dust the ribs to fully coat both sides, and lightly "rub" into meat, and let stand at room temperature.

Once all the charcoal is gray, add about 6-8 pieces of Hickory wood, about the size of small baseballs. Allow wood to fully catch fire, and assemble the smoker.

Add 3 quarts of cold water to the water pan, close bottom vents, and close the lid. You made use the top vent to temper the temperature down to 225F, but open the top vent fully at that point, and leave fully open for the rest of the cooking procedure.

Place each half-slab meat side down, two on each level, Try to keep from getting to close to the outer edge, to avoid hot spots.

STAGE II

Mix the following as a liquid stage:

1/2 cup pure Pineapple juice
1/4 cup pure Grape juice
1/4 cup pure Apple juice

Cook at 215-225F for 3-1/2 hours, regulating the temperature using the bottom vents. Keep lid on at all times, and do not exceed 230F.

Remove ribs from smoker, and place each half-slab meat side down on its own large piece of aluminum foil, with the edges turned up. Add 1/4 cup of liquid stage to each half-slab, and wrap tightly.

Return to smoker, and cover for 1-1/2 hours (at same temperature, 215-225F).

STAGE III

Mix the following as a glaze stage:

2/3 cup of barbeque sauce
1/3 cup of pure honey

Note: The judges really like K.C. Masterpiece Original

Remove ribs from smoker, and remove from foil.

Disassemble smoker down to the bottom, and place top rack directly on the bottom section, right above the coals, and fully open bottom vents.

Heavily mop ribs with glaze, and place on rack for 30 seconds to a minute, meat side down, to caramelize glaze. Do not over cook (burn). Repeat other side.

You may add more glaze to taste...serve.

Goes good with slaw and corn on the cob...enjoy.

You had me at White Pepper( the most under rated additive on the planet) /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Yeah. Thanks for the winning secrets... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I like the breakdown and carmelize technique...
I'll definatly be giving this a try on my next rib smoke!

Sure seems like a lot of hickory to me, but maybe I'm just extra-sensitive to the stuff. I did something like 3 hickory + 3 oak in my last rib cook and it was way over the top.

This is a great recepe; I used loin back ribs and not the baby back ribs, but turned out very good.

thanks

Dood,

Ive been reading this board for about a year, but I had to sign in to tell you those are the best ribs Ive ever had!

Smokey, tender, juicy, tasty, sweet, simply the best! They even beat out our local Damons rib restuarant!

Kudos to Chris G for the best rib recipie ever, this one is a keeper!

I?m glad people are enjoying the recipe.

It has been in my family for years, and I?m happy to share. I think its interesting that ?professionals? learn from it too. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Chuck, are you saying you won a competition against a rib house with the recipe? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

If so, that is great! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lemme know...

Hey Chris.

No, I wasnt talking bout a competition, but rather my taste. Ive been trying for years to get that type of resturant taste, but couldnt, that is, until I got this recipie!

We made them again last weekend, and again, simply wonderfull! My wife says were going broke, but we sure are fat and happy thanks to you.

Have any other bullet recipies?

Okay Chuck...glad to hear you like them so much, however, I can't be held responsible for your financial status because of this recipe. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I have a brisket recipe...its rather involved, but I think it?s worth it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ill post it under the "Beef Recipe's" forum.

Again, glad to hear people are enjoying the recipe so much.

Later.

Made these yesterday for "Guy's Rib Night". 12 of us eating great food that's not so great for us.

The recipe is very forgiving. It was snowing (yes, snow in april in Colorado springs) so I didn't glaze them on the weber. I used Sweet Baby Ray's and glazed them under the gas broiler in my oven.

They came out great.

Chris I tried your ribs for Mothers day! Fantastic!!!! Everyone loved them! I will be doing more of these in the future! Thanks very much for sharing this with everyone!

Dave

The beauty lies in the carmelization of the glaze. I've been doing taht for some time now and it rocks.

Just curious, do the ribs come out spicy, spicy & sweet? I like the sound of this baste you use. What does it add to the meat?

With the brown surgar base, and the final baste of 1/3 honey+2/3 sauce, they come out on the sweet side. If you didnt baste, or use a less sweet baste, they still come out very netural...not overly spicy, and not too sweet...just great flavor. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Give 'em a try man... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Another way to approach that carmelization stage is to put on the baste and then hit the ribs carefully with the flame from a butane blowtorch. There are restaurant-style torches made for this (it's how creme brulee often is finished), but your typical Joe Handyman torch works fine.

Hi All,

I have been doing the "crisping" of the ribs for some time now and it IS wonderful. Also try it with spares too!..Basted and crisped they come out delicious.

I actually also do this with my pork butts, shoulders and beef brisket too just before I pull or slice them...adds a little "candy" to the bark.
And crisping and basting the brisket adds a little steak flavor, too!

regards,
PrestonD

Chris,

You have another happy user of your receipe!!! These ribs were great (used spares) - tender, tasty and falling off the bone. Defintely going to use this receipe again, and again, and.... you get the point

Chris, I made my first baby back ribs today and used your method. Man, they were FANTASTIC! Everyone loved 'em at our family picnic. Thanks for sharing this with everyone!

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back