Vita-Mix

Jeff Wildrick

TVWBB Fan
About a month ago I finally broke down and bought a Vita-Mix blender. I was almost ashamed of myself, considering how expensive they are. But after seeing the demonstration I figured, sure, give it a try.

Well, after a month of use, I'd say it's the best kitchen gadget I've ever owned that's used inside the house. Stuff that I'd never have tried in my "store bought" blenders is easy for this machine. Our favorite is what I call an "Emerald City" shake. I take 1 cup of green grapes, three slices of pineapple (core left in), 1/2 a ripe banana, a heaping handful of fresh spinach, and 1 cup of ice and let 'er rip. My son, who is a real "I want hot dogs, corn dogs, or french fries for dinner" kinda kid, said, "Wow. This is a great way to eat spinach. Can I have more?"

Weirder still is the fact that the friction created inside of this blender that you can actually use it to heat water to boiling. That's right. I start with cold broth, fresh veggies, and blend for about five minutes to get piping hot soup for lunch.

One other thing I love is cleanup. My old blender said you could clean it by putting water in and blending. But, you still had to take apart the blade assembly and gasket. With my Vita-Mix it really does clean itself, and there's no assembly to take apart. It's effectively a sealed unit. (If you wait until the gunk dries inside, of course, you still need to soak it in a sink.)

I've got no financial interest in Vita-Mix. I just love it. Now, off to make ice cream in the Vita-Mix for the kids. Milk, sugar, vanilla, powdered milk,fresh strawberries, and ice blended for 30 seconds. 57 calories a 1/2 cup!

Jeff

The one I have is over 20 years old. Doesn't look good anymore (from lots of use) but I'll sure vouch for your impressions.

Been looking at one of those for some time now. I know they are used in some restaurants, and have a great reputation. It's just justifying the cost.

Maybe for Christmas??

My dad scored his on craigslist for pennies on the dollar. He doesn't really use it. But it looks like it can handle anything.

I've been on the fence now for about a year between Vita Mix or Blend Tec. Any comments in support of either one? Of courese I guess I have to ask myself - If I've been on the fence that long guess I don't really need either
icon_razz.gif

I'm not familiar with the Blend Tec but I can confirm that the Vita Mix is an amazing piece of equipment. To call it a blender is almost an insult. Look in any high-end ($80+ check average), non-steakhouse restaurant kitchen and chances are you will find a Vita Mix (or Vita Prep, the commercial use version). A rock is one of the few things it cannot puree.
icon_biggrin.gif

If you find yourself replacing your blender every year or so, then getting a Vita Mix may actually save you money `cause it's built like a tank. If you like having the finest things
AND can afford to spend more than $500 for a "blender" go for it. I'm almost positive you won't regret it.

J you make a good point, if you use one a lot, then even thought its $500, you'll likey be saving money in the long run.

I had a buddy who was an amatuer bodybuilder. He makes his protein shake concoctions probably 3 times a day. He had a nice blender that I asked him about, and he said he was tired of buying a $60-75 blender at Sears, and throwing it out in 4 months after the motor gave up. He went thru 3 in one year before he dropped some coin on a high quality one.

Thanks J. Blendtechs are pretty much the same duty equivalent. I like them a little better because they are a little shorter and fit under cabinet better. The're about the same price.

Blend Tec

I scored an old Vita-Mix that had the reversable motor and the Stainless steel container with spigot. Used it for a couple years, then hung around the Vita-Mix demo at the Fair and was shocked when my wife said she wanted one. We love it and when I put the old one on craigslist, people were actually bidding on it and I sold it an hour after I posted it!

Thanks Mike! Haven't looked at those but have looked at bunch of others. I was wondering if anyone on this forum had any actual experience between the two.

I am about ready to pull the trigger on this deal, a refurb with 7 year warranty for $399 for one of my daughters for Xmas.

I must say, it alwyas concerns me when I see enough of an item to warrant a refurb sale ...

Secondly, do you think the 5200 series improvements make them a must buy?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn W:
I am about ready to pull the trigger on this deal, a refurb with 7 year warranty for $399 for one of my daughters for Xmas.

I must say, it alwyas concerns me when I see enough of an item to warrant a refurb sale ...

Secondly, do you think the 5200 series improvements make them a must buy? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I thought your kids were .. well .. just kids.
icon_biggrin.gif
Aaaaaahhh ... Several years of use at home!
icon_wink.gif

I don't know, that just seems like it's in the same tank as paying $500 for a toaster.
icon_eek.gif

Bill
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I thought your kids were .. well .. just kids. Aaaaaahhh ... Several years of use at home! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No man, I have two in university (living on their own in another city), a 16 year old off living with grandparents going to a private high school and a 10 year old still at home.

Ya, I know it's a lot to pay for a blender ... but she's getting right in to liquid diet ... fresh blended veggie drinks and stuff.

Pls disregard the info request, I got veto'd by my smarter half. Instead I got my daughter a 700W Oster to start out with ... we can buy a lot of those for $400. At least let her trash her first one THEN buy her a nice one if it still seems like a good idea (she wants to drink blended advocado pits or something).

Been wanting one for years. This was a Christmas present to me this year.
icon_biggrin.gif
I bought the 5200 New Resolutions package in red. Just came yesterday but man what a nice piece of equipment this is. I'll be doing the Dr. Oz green smoothie that's in the January 10, 2011 issue of "FIRST for woman" everyday as I just found out I have diabeties and I need to lose weight.

Hey Bryan. Nice 'seeing' you.

I'd love a new one. I'm sure you'll be pleased with it. They're powerhouses.

Back