Foggy Weather Question

Benny A

TVWBB Member
Hi All,

I am planning to compete next weekend in a contest close to the ocean (L.A./Orange County). This time of year, fog rolls in quite a number of miles. I am wondering how much moisture will the Stoker take, if any? My plan is to place a cardboard box over the Stoker and another box over a Duracell Powerpack 600 which is used to run the Stoker. Does anyone have "fog" experience?

Thanks, Benny

Sorry, I can't help you with fog issues. The heaviest moisture I've dealt with is a really heavy dew. Then I just put the Stoker on a shelf under my prep table. It still gets a little moisture on it, but it hasn't affected it.

Best of luck at the competition.

How long can you use the Duracell Powerpack 600 with the Stoker before it needs to be recharged? I've thought about getting an inverter and marine battery to have for comps in case the power isn't stable.

Benny, where I live we frequently have zero visibility days, I use a rubbermaid tub with two holes in it, one for probe wires and one for a power cord. Never had an issue.

Steve,

I have been told it will go for about 15 hours with a Stoker, fan, and two flourescent lamps. I bought it for this competition when we were told no electricity was available. I'm one of those "why practice when you can play" kind of guys, so this will be the first time. I'll post back after the event.

Larry,
Thanks for the info. I may use plastic boxes and let the cords run out under the inverted top to let some cooling air in.

Thanks, Benny

I got woke up about 2 am during an all-night cook, by an unexpected rain shower. I stuck the Stoker inside a ziplock bag, and zipped it closed as much as possible with the leads coming out. It ran like a top. So I think almost any kind of shelter that will protect it from actual rain should be okay. I wouldn't think high humidity alone, even fog, would cause a problem if it's inside something like a bag, or the plastic box.

I live in a fog infested area, no problem for the stoker. I have my stuff under a cover so I don't worry about the rain, but I would keep it covered if I did.

Larry and Ken,

Thanks for your advice. The 10 day forcast is now calling for rain so I'm going to build a portable shelter of PVC pipes and plastic sheeting. I will cover my RK and OTS along with the hardware. I did contact John at RocksBBQ who said fog should not be a problem.

Benny

I will add that when at the beach camping is when I first had a problem with my WSM keeping up to temps. The Cool ocean breeze kept the smoker from getting hot.I now use an EZ-UP with sides and it has helped the issue. Your may also consider the Reflectrix wrap which I got a Lowes.I just wrap it around and use spring clamps with about a 1 inch space between the wrap and the WSM. Cuts down on the fuel use also.The link is to photos of the wrap on a WSM
WSM wrap

Back