security.

Chuck Dugas

TVWBB Pro
I live a 1/4 mile from low income apartments.I have not done an overnight smoke because of this.There has been some breakins in the neiborhood.Any suggestions on how to protect my equipment from getting stolen? (besides moving). We live in a Condo with no back yard.Any ideas.

If I was stealing grills, I would look for one that isn't on fire, but I don't know how ruthless the folks are in your area.

If you have a place to chain it to, you could do the following with a long security chain / lock. Run the cable through one of the legs, through one of the handles on the midsection (need the garage door handle mod) and through the lid handle, then lock to something secure.

This is becoming a big problem in both the high and low rent areas of most communities these days. Several years ago on Superbowl Sunday we went to a friends house to watch the game. When we arrived home that evening we found that someone had broken into our house and cleaned it out. All of the closets in the house were trashed, as well as the dresser drawers. The heart monitor on the exercise bike was also gone. The food in the freezer and fridge were also taken.

My German Shepherd was brutally beaten, and then tossed into a spare bedroom. The burglar was eventually apprehended and is now doing 18 years in prison (He burglarized 63 houses in our town).

I now have 2 German Shepherds, and all of the doors have high-security locks on them. The gate to the backyard also has a high-security lock, and when I am not at home the yard, and my collection of Weber grills are protected by one of the Shepherds. The other one has the run of the house.

In your situation I would probably tough it out while the WSM is going, and after the food is cooked I would catch a few winks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck Dugas:
I was even thinking of buying a fake video camera and a motion light. but how far do you go! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Chuck,
You go as far as you want, if you love where you live, than stick with your guns, if not , move on.
icon_wink.gif

Tim

Gary, I'd lock it down with a chain and lock if possible. Those can be cut though.

The bad guys know fake cams and stuff...that won't be as much as a deterrent as a big arse chain and lock.

Maybe get one of those vehicle steering wheel locks and figure a way to get it on the lid?

If you're going the camera route...do a real one.

The only type of crime you can prevent with a chain is a Crime of Opportunity. Anyone with ill intentions and half a brain will get what they are going for.

Personally, I live in a lower income area of my city (not that there really is a BAD part of town), but if I was concerned I would simply cook in the backyard. If it's upfront, some drunk walking by might think it would be fun to kick or shut off... or just generally screw with. I don't know many people who could carry off a WSM while it's full of hot coals and is a MINIMUM of 225F!

This is just basic safety... While you SHOULD be able to jog in Central Park at 2am... you don't! And you should be able to let your kids leave their bikes on the lawn... but you don't!
Think of how many people have their cars stolen because they leave them running while they run into the store or house for "just a second".

Out of sight, out of mind applies to crooks too. Heck, the more security you have on the thing, the more they are going to figure it's worth.

Just noticed this post. I had my first WSM stolen. I installed a cable with a lock on my second one WSM Security - I'll try to get the pictures re-posted.

EDIT: Here's a picture:
WSM_01.jpg

The cable snakes through the handle, an eyebolt I installed in one of the bracket mounting holes and through the legs. The end of the cable you can't see also has a loop which could be padlocked to a fence post or other solid object. I figured that trying to mess with this set up while it was hot just wouldn't be worth the trouble. I still have this WSM!

Since we moved and the WSM is out of sight, I don't worry as much now.

Thanks everyone for the comments and Joel for the pictures. Now I just bought a DiGQII. I guess I'll put my sleeping bag down by my WSM,It will be just like laying next to my wife.LOL.

I bought a camera,a security light,and I going to sleep in the garage(carpeted). I'll take pictures and post To bad you have to do this.Drugs,drugs and drugs.Have the little kids steal for the big kids.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck Dugas:
I was even thinking of buying a fake video camera and a motion light. but how far do you go! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that fake video camera might catch a fake thief...
icon_smile.gif

Best thing to chain the WSM to is a Pit Bull. Just make sure the Pit Bull don't like Q.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Best thing to chain the WSM to is a Pit Bull. Just make sure the Pit Bull don't like Q. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Now that was funny.
icon_smile.gif

My security camera just caught a thief..My wife trying to steal a hot dog.LOL.

Joel, does that cable snake through your pork butt too? I'd hate to see some thugs bolting from your place playing hot potato with a half cooked butt.

Back