Smoker on Order, What's your recommended first smoke?

Fred Snyder

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

I order my smoker tonight, so I'd like to ask you all for your recommendations for a first smoke. I saw some nice briskets, pork butts and ribs at Sam's.
Is there a ratio of coal per pound of meat to be smoked that is general used by folks?
Thanks for the input.
Best regards,
Fred
icon_smile.gif

Fred, alot of folks (including myself) will fill up a full ring with lump charcoal no matter what we are cooking. Since the lump can be reused without problems, we use a full ring of charcoal to get good, consistent burns - which in turn takes out one variable in the cook.

Congrats on your purchase Fred!

Take a look at the "Cooking Topics" from this site.

This will help you out, a lot of info to read before that smoker shows up at your front door.

Good luck and can't wait to hear about your cooks.

Ribs are a great first cook because, like Justin said, you get to taste your results sooner. Pork butt has an even greater margin of error, but takes a very long time.

I'm with Mitch. I fill up my ring (with Kingsford, though) every time I cook. Just close the vents when the cook is done and you'll have plenty o' coals left over.

Of course, I defied convention and did a brisket my first cook. Got a solid 12 hours out of a single ring and still has some briquettes left.

I agree, the "cooking topics" section has some great info; if you're a chicken eater, I'd try one of those. For your first long cook, go with a pork butt; very forgiving, and your guests will be very impressed with your abilities!

Sorry, meant to recommend the "beginner cooks" section of cooking topics (couldnt get "edit" to work).

I'll be the contrarian here. I say smoke a chicken since the cost of protein is less. It's pretty forgiving and then move on to more expensive meat. That will help you get used to your new purchase.

I'd say the second smoke should be pork butt.

The Cooking Topics section has a pulled chicken recipe. Ignore the advice to use quarter chickens and just use bone in thighs (pulling leg meat is a PITA). I learned a lot about my cooker doing this recipe, partly because I had too few coals and maintaining temps was a problem. I could see what changing vent settings would do, and overall got comfortable with my WSM. The cost for the chicken was minimal compared to something like ribs. Screwing up 4 racks of ribs would have been expensive, screwing up a dozen chicken thighs would have been cheap.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've got a few days to mull it over and look at the links you shared.
How about throwing on some ABTs?? The pics and recipes sure look good. They would be good for a snack while whatever else I smoke is smokin'
Thanks again!\
icon_smile.gif

I'm with you Kent. I think a couple spatchcocked chickens would be a good start. Not a long cook and will teach you a thing or two about your smoker. Pork butt is so forgiving it just teaches patience.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
I'm with you Kent. I think a couple spatchcocked chickens would be a good start. Not a long cook and will teach you a thing or two about your smoker. Pork butt is so forgiving it just teaches patience.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I'm with chicken for a short cook and butt for a long cook. Will give you good info on your smoker (as mentioned above) and the longer cook will give you ideas on fuel usage.

I'd cook something you like to eat!

Personally I'd go with something that isn't super long, just so you can get some results without worrying about time management ("wait, this is going to be done at 3am?") or running out of fuel or whatever. Ribs, chicken, something like that.

I've been just filling the ring with charcoal lately but just as a really rough number I tend to think in terms of a pound of fuel per hour. That's really conservative though - unless it's really cold out or something it shouldn't use that much.

RIBS!!! BABY BACK RIBS!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
....IMHO, Baby Back Ribs are the best maiden voyage cook
icon_wink.gif
....they'll give ya a chance to showcase the WSMs strong points, give you confidence in your new smokin skills, and get a yummy reward in a relatively short 4-5hr cook
icon_cool.gif
Keep it simple this first time....buy baby backs from Sams', remove membrane, season both sides with simple fresh ground salt and pepper (or rub lightly with a store bought rub)..... empty one full chimney of unlit Kingsford in the charcoal pan, top with 2 big chunks of apple smoke wood (or whatever you have)... top this with a chimney full of lit Kingsford, then add 3 more chunks of applewood...assemble cooker with scalding tap water in the water pan, place a rack or two of ribs on each cooking grate, set bottom vents 1/2 open & top vent 100% open....grab a beer and reflect on how coool & fun all this is!!!!
icon_cool.gif
... I noticed you live in SC, if it's a nice day, you can adjust the 3 bottom vents to 1/3 open once the Webers' dome thermometer is verticle, approx 220-240*... grab another brew
icon_wink.gif
..at approx 4hrs, check for doneness and swirl a little Sweet Baby Rays bbq sauce (or whatever you have) on the ribs on the top rack ... leave the other rack without sauce for comparison
icon_wink.gif
..grab another brew
icon_rolleyes.gif
this is fun! ... remove the ribs when they're limp and eat 'em along with a another brew
wsmsmile8gm.gif
...very simple and effective "set it and forget it" maiden voyage, ... at this point you should realize what a true BBQ Master you really are
icon_biggrin.gif
grab another brew!!!
icon_cool.gif

Ahhh.... a man after my own heart.

A drinker with a smoking problem.

I agree with ribs for the first time out. As long as you cook 'em long enough and keep from peeking, they are a reliable cook with very tasty results.

And you can save a few beer cans for cook#2, beer can chicken. See? Nothing gets wasted (except maybe the cook).

Welcome. You're gonna love it here.

Ron

My first cook was a 13 1/2 lb brisket and a 10 # pork shoulder, if your going to learn, jump right in. I had the help from my bbq guru. Both came out great. Took 15 hrs , outside temp started at 13 deg at 3am, dropped to 3 deg by 7am and never got over 25 deg during the day. This is why I'm hooked, had a great time doing and the meat was great.

Wow thanks guys!!!
Rondo I have to say we think a lot a like. I love ribs.... I like your guide lines the timing for the brews seems perfect!
I can't thank all of you who posted enough.

Smoke on!!!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

This is a great thread. My Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 arrives today. I took a four-day weekend to celebrate... I can't wait to get her smokin' ... I am going to do ribs for dinner tonight and while she's still hot I plan to fuel the Weber back up and throw a brisket on overnight... It'll be my first brisket and cold-weather overnighter... I'll take pictures!

Good luck Jeff. Mine is suppose to ship Monday, I took the free shipping.
Please post how your ribs and brisket turn out.

Hey Fred - In cooking topics there is a great recipe for ribs called BRITU (Best Ribs In The Universe). This is a "Failsafe" recipe and following it to the "Tee" will gain you many accolades from family and friends and they will all be saying "What a Pro that guy is" Good cooking on your new WSM.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
Bob B

Back