Hot Sauce Recipes

Colin B.

TVWBB Member
I don't know if one can consider this BBQ but I think they are related.

Anyways, I would like to make my own hot sauce. Any one have any recipes and methods or know of some resources that may help me out?

My favorite commercial brand is Frank's Red Hot. Its a Buffalo style that isn't too hot but with great flavour.

here is a recipe that may give you something like Franks:

Hot Sauce
15 to 20 large fresh chiles, stems and seeds removed, cut in half lengthwise (can be fresh piquins, cayennes, or serranos)
2 cloves garlic, cut in half
1/2 cup vinegar
salt to taste

Place the chiles, cut side down, on a broiler rack. Broil for about 5 minutes, or until the skin blisters and blackens. Transfer the peppers to a paper bag and let stand for about 10 minutes. Peel when cool.

Place the chiles and garlic in a blender or food processor. With the machine running, slowly add the vinegar until the mixture is well blended. Add salt to taste. Keep covered and refrigerated until use.

Yield: 1/2 cup"

Try a small batch like this first, then, if they like it, double, triple, quadruple the ingredients to make as much as they want. This recipe should make a sauce that is closer to the taste of Frank's than to Tabasco.

Colin,
You can't go wrong searching this section of the forum for recipes by Steve Petrone.

My favorite is his No. 5 Sauce, which I have 'kicked up' a bit.

--
Charles

You might be a redneck if...
You have more children than you do teeth.

Here's my two. First one is good on brisket, ribs, pulled pork sammies. Second is an old family favorite on turkey. Both keep in the fridge.

Barbecue Sauce:

4 cups catsup
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 med. Onion, grated
2 Tbsp, seasoned salt
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup margarine

Combine all ingredients into a sauce pan, bring to a boil, stir
occasionally. Remove bay leaf.

Hot Sauce:

Equal amounts of water and catsup (I usually do about a cup of each).
Grate one small onion.
Red pepper to taste.
Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes or so.

Back