Red-Eye Butt (Smoke & Spice) - Anyone tried it?

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
Darn...I was on my way to Mr. Brown and saw this, so I had to post it. How do Smokeheads get anything else done in their lives?

Rita
----------------

Has anyone tried this one? Ham Steak and Red-eye Gravy is a staple in Georgia.

RED-EYE BUTT (Smoke & Spice)

Makes 4–6 servings. Anything as tasty as a barbecued shoulder warrants a little experimentation. Here we add some extra tang, us-ing an old American pork enhancer—coffee—and we speed up the cooking time by starting with just half of a Boston butt, a common supermarket cut. — Cheryl & Bill Jamison

RED-EYE MARINADE AND MOP
2 cups strong coffee
2 cups cider vinegar
1 medium onion, chunked
1/2 pork butt, 3 1/2 to 4 pounds

Bar-BQ Ranch Sauce (page 353) (optional)

1/2 cup molasses

1. THE NIGHT BEFORE you plan to barbecue, combine the marinade ingredients in a blender.
Pour the marinade over the pork in a plastic bag.
Refrigerate the meat overnight.

2. BEFORE YOU BEGIN TO BARBECUE, drain the pork, reserving all of the marinade and adding 1 cup of water to it if you plan to baste the meat.
Let the pork sit at room temperature for 30 to 40 minutes.

3. PREPARE THE SMOKER for barbecuing, bringing the temperature to 2000F to 220°F

4. BRING THE RESERVED MARINADE to a boil over high heat.
Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for several minutes.
Keep the liquid warm over low heat.

5. TRANSFER THE PORK to the smoker and cook it for 4 hours.
BASTE the meat with the warmed marinade at 45-minute intervals in a wood-burning pit, or as appropriate for your style of smoker.

6. AFTER 4 HOURS, wrap the pork in heavy-duty foil, pouring about 1/2 to 1 cup of the warmed marinade and the onion solids over the meat. Discard any remaining marinade.
Seal the edges of the foil well.

7. RETURN THE PORK TO THE SMOKER for about 2 more hours, cooking it to the fall-apart stage.

8. REST THE PORK at room temperature for 10–15 minutes before pulling the pork apart in shreds.

9. OFFER BAR-BQ RANCH SAUCE on the side, if you wish.

• • •

VARIATION: JAVA-CHILE BUTT
For a quicker approach to the coffee accent, skip the marinade and, instead, rub the meat with Java-Chile Rub (page 31), saving at least 1 tablespoon of the mixture. Let the butt sit at room temperature while you fire up your smoker. If you want to use a mop, com-bine 1 cup of distilled or cider vinegar mixed with an equal amount of water and the reserved tablespoon of dry rub.

JAVA-CHILE RUB
We developed this rub for pork chops, but is also works well on many cuts of beef and on quail or other game birds. Ground coffee fades in flavor quickly, so make it in small batches. — “Smoke & Spice (Revised),” by Cheryl & Bill Jamison, page 31

1/2 cup ground coffee
3 tablespoons ground pasilla or ancho chile
3 tablespoons coarse salt, either kosher or sea salt
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper

Mix the spices thoroughly in a bowl. Store covered in a cool, dark pantry.

From: “Smoke & Spice (Revised Edition)” by Cheryl & Bill Jamison, page 53; © 2003, The Harvard Common Press.

I have been using this for New's Years Eve block party for 4 years now on a propane smoker. It is a good recipe for when you don't have the time needed for longer smokes. The neighbors are counting on pulled pork now from me. You do not get the bark however. It is all moist but great for sandwiches. I actually have a WSM now and have a couple of pork butts on right now trying Mr. Browns for the first time.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm planning to make this on Wednesday or Thursday and I just want to verify that the molasses is part of the marinade. The order of ingredients is a little confusing, but nowhere in the instructions is there a separate step for the molasses.

I have the book and googled this--lo and behold, the first suggested site is this thread!

Petra

Back