Ramblings from a forum newbie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve McKibben

TVWBB Super Fan
This is a great site! I really appreciate all of the knowledge that is shared here - what a resource!

I'm a long time Weber kettle devotee, and I will soon be taking the leap and replacing my third Brinkman water smoker with the WSM - can't wait.

In the meantime, I've ordered a replacement one-touch cleaning kit for my silver kettle. The old one has been rusted open. Which leads me to...

It's been very interesting to read all of the lump vs briquet discussion. I've only found lump late in my grilling life, and up to now have only been using it for searing steaks and burgers, because, from my experience it burns much hotter and faster than the briquets. It just dawned on me - the only time I've used the lump has been when the bottom air vents have been full time wide open, due to them being rusted in that position.

Now I'll have a whole new set of variables to play, er, work with!

Look for a quality lump if you decide to try it.

Stay away from many grocery store brands, along with Cowboy, which somehow seems to dominate the market.

Royal Oak lump is readily available at most walmarts.

So far the two brands of lump I've used are Royal Oak and Big Green Egg - bought both of them at the local pool supply store (Pinch-a-Penny).

I'll have to see how walmart compares on price.

Thanks!

I have always used lump in both my Platinmum and WSM. Up until two years ago I used mesquite lump as that was all I could find, once I discoverd B&B, and Royal Oak I'll never go back! As far as the damper I never used to use it either just cooked and moved to cooler locations, since I installed a thermo in the lid I've been using the damper a lot nearly fully closed will keep the grill at 375-400, fully open with a full load of Royal Oak is will over 550. So in closing good choice on the lump and experiment with the damper, I think you'll enjoy the results
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve McKibben:
So far the two brands of lump I've used are Royal Oak and Big Green Egg - bought both of them at the local pool supply store (Pinch-a-Penny).

I'll have to see how walmart compares on price.

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Royal Oak makes the BGE lump. It's just cheaper as Royal Oak.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve McKibben:
...the only time I've used the lump has been when the bottom air vents have been full time wide open, due to them being rusted in that position...
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I recently replaced the cleaning system on my kettle, and I had to drill the the 1/4"-20 thumbscrew out to get the old corroded unit off. When I went to clean up a Smokey Joe that I picked up used, I thought I'd have to drill the bolts out again, but this time I used Kano Aerokroil and let it set overnight, and they came off with hand tools.

It's worth the hassle to get an older kettle running like new again, but the Aerokroil made it a lot less of a hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back