Weber One Touch Portability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Werner

TVWBB Member
OK... So here is my dilemma. I have a one touch 22 1/2 inch Silver. I also have two Smokey Joes of the the 18" variety.

We are going on a trip to Maine and several friends will be there. I was planning on carting up the Smokey Joes and hadnt put much thought into it. Then I started thinking about the OneTouch.

I was curious however if people have moved their OneTouch grills with success and if some folks out there might have some tips. I dont have a truck but have a minivan which will be PACKED with kids stuff since my kids are pretty young.

Anyone have some tips or thoughts?

Thanks

Werner, I frequently transport my 22.5" kettle in the back of a mid-size SUV (Hyundai Santa Fe) without any trouble. I could certainly give you some suggestions for loading a 22.5" kettle into a minivan, but I don't think it would be much help - your real problem seems to be that you need to pack the minivan with other stuff that I will assume cannot be jettisoned.

You mention that several of your friends will also be there. Perhaps one of them (who does not yet have a kettle) will finally recognize what he/she has been missing all these years, buy a new kettle for the trip, and leave it in the box for assembly up in Maine. If his/her car is less loaded at the end of the trip than it was at the beginning, then it may be easier to get the kettle onboard for the drive home.

not sure what yer requirements are. also not sure what shape yer kettles are in. if ya don't mind some scratches then they can easily be disassembled and packed in the nooks and crannies. stuff can be packed inside the bowls, etc. the other option is to just buy one when ya get there.

I think Ill probably take the Smokey Joes. I havent fully decided but I have suitcases, pack and play for the young one(portable crib), toys, and food.

If I do take the One touch, I was actually able to score a clearance one touch silver 22" on clearance at a local retailer for $40. Keeping it in the box will make it easy to get it there but I still need to get it back home.

Thanks everyone

I`ve hauled my 22 1/2 plenty in the back of my Honda Odyssey filled to the rim. Someone suggested removing the legs... you could do that, its easy enough. I usually back my car so tight for trips which includes two coolers: one for alcohol, water, gatorade and such and cooler #2 has a weeks supply of food! So it can certainly be done. The only thing you`ll want to make sure of is to remove the grates and place a towel or something of that nature between them. We travelled 10 hours going to Buxton, NC over the summer and I forgot to do that. Well after about an hour of rattling grills, I pulled over and separated the two. They trouble when they together. Other than that, enjoy the BBQing.

The silver thing (aluminum) sticking out the back of the hitch haul is for a Weber kettle leg. I made it out of some left over channel then bolted it too the hitch haul.

MikeZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back