Identifying a stainless steel grate

Shaun R

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Does anyone know how to tell if a Weber grate is stainless. I tried the magnet test on my 26er grate and it sticks? These are supposedly stainless steel? Does anyone else have any information? Thanks.

some ss is magnetic. maybe not the best quality. i think the look is a bit flatter than the regular stuff. put some water and salt on it and see ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
some ss is magnetic. maybe not the best quality. i think the look is a bit flatter than the regular stuff. put some water and salt on it and see ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, shouldn't be as shiny. Even on lower grade stainless the magnet although it might hold would be a weaker pull. Maybe have a standard one to compare to with the magnet test. Weaker pull/hold from the magnet should identify the stainless.

Be aware I have tried finding Weber stainless (they don't make/sell them anymore). Some sites list them as stainless and they are just the standard. The packaging of the grate should specifically say stainless steel.

I recently bough 3 from a site that made that claim. I made sure before ordering that I was going to hold them to the claim that said they were stainless. They weren't. Luckily they returned them including all shipping costs as well as return.

Shaun,

Comparing my SS grate to my nickel palted grate on my performer, the rods are not as thick on the SS. It was also dull, not shiny when new.

Magnet test doesn't apply to the lower grades of SS. Put a magnet on a SS Performer table and you will see, although as Ray mentioned, it has less pull then steel.

Also, SS grates seem much easier to clean so far.

Yeah, I believe stainless is actually stronger so maybe they can get away with thinner material and still have same performance for strength, warping, etc.

I've found that anything stainless that I use for cooking/grilling cleans easier than standard, plated steel.

Plus they hold up longer in my experience. Wish I could get a couple 18" and 22.5 weber rounds. Kept meaning to order some. If anyone knows where or finds a place I'd pay you your costs and shipping to get them to me.

Or if you have an "extra" or two that you are getting tired of kicking around
icon_biggrin.gif

Dang I'll have to check heard last year that they stopped them. And they disappeared from the Weber web site. I was more interested in 18, would keep a 22 when I had a specific purpose. Been using the cast iron grates pretty much 100% since they started importing them from Germany. Will pick up one anyway though as my originals are shot.

Back