Who makes the best Rib rack for the WSM...

Tom P.

TVWBB Member
I have been cooking mostly SL Spares and would like to be able to fit more on my WSM. Anyone have a favorite rib rack that they use on the WSM that they could recommend?

I use one that I got at Lowe's or Home Depot. It looks like the Brinkmann rack:
600-0062-3-L.jpg

but was quite a bit cheaper than Brinkmann's on-line price.

Thanks Larry... how many racks of spares can you cook on it? DO you have to cut them back or divide each rack in half to fit them on?

I got mine at Lowes. It can hold three racks cut in half. With two I can smoke six racks on the upper and lower grates.

How about just rolling up the ribs and using wooden skewers to hold their shape. Does anyone see any difference between ribs cooked using a rib rack and wooden skewers?

If for some reason you really wanted to go very high end. Dave Kose , a real pro, used to make a SS, HD rack. I think a few on this board may have gotten them - not me.

Paul

I bought a rack at the local BBQ Galore store. The racks are at a bit of an angle, and are pretty tight together. I can wrap three baby backs in there easily, but because of the angle of the rack it is hard to get them back out without tearing.

I don't have experience with any other racks so this might be normal. I'm not sure.

Originally posted by Paul G.:
If for some reason you really wanted to go very high end. Dave Kose , a real pro, used to make a SS, HD rack. I think a few on this board may have gotten them - not me.

Paul
I did.
icon_biggrin.gif
He changed them since I bought mine 5-6 yrs ago. He changed them for the better, so they will hold BB's as well. The SS racks I have will not hold BB's, they just fold up and fall through the divders. I never got around to welding in some hoops for BB's yet.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Scroll down a bit to the group of 5 pics and there's a pic of the new design. Look closely and you can see the BB hoops under the taller spares hoops. Klose Rib Racks
I also have the Brinkman posted above. While a little flimsy, It serves the purpose. Got mine at Lowe's for around $8.00

A few years back I bought a Williams Sonoma rib rack. I'm happy with it. I'm not sure if they still make them, I got 2 for $4.00. I couldn't pass that up. lol

I have used 3 different kinds and I think the Weber rib rack is by far the best. Will hold 4 full St Louis style spares easily. The others (like the one pictured in the 2nd post) seem to be too narrow and need the slabs to be cut in half.

I have a rib rack from Steven Raichlen. It's pretty big and will easily hold 4 racks. But it is a bear to clean!! Supposedly non-stick, it has lots of wires and tight places that resist any method of cleaning. I finally just sprayed it with oven cleaner. I have used it a couple of times and it does turn out some great looking ribs, but I'm not sure that I would recommend it because of the clean-up.

If you have a Menards close to you, check out the Grill Shop Rib Rack they sell. It is around 5 bucks and will hold 4 or 5 racks and is porcelain coated for easier cleanup.

Back