Potato Salad so good it will make you take your shoes off!!!

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
Eric Warren's Potato Salad (Contestant on "The Next Food Network Star")
The judges said this was probably the best potato salad they had ever tasted.

Ingredients:
4 pounds Idaho potatoes
4 jumbo eggs hard boiled
2.5 cups mayonnaise
4 green onions finely chopped
3 stalks celery finely chopped
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
0.5 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:

1: In a large pot, add potatoes and water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender.

2: Drain and cool. Peel cooked potatoes and cut into small chunks. Put in a very large serving bowl or container.

3: Peel and finely chop hard boiled eggs and add to bowl.

4: Add mayonnaise, green onions, celery, mustard, white pepper and salt. Mix until just combined.

5: Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 3 hours before serving.

Well, the title does say "so good", not "so great".
icon_wink.gif

Regards,
Chris

I saw him make this on the show, and I couldn't figure out what made it so great myself.

I am not a big fan of mustard in potato salad, I love mustards, just not in this dish. Here's a recipe I've been making for a very long time, and it's extremely good. I personally like the method of warm potatoes soaking up the oil and vinegar first. Makes all the difference:

* Exported from MasterCook *

CREAMY POTATO SALAD

Recipe By :April 1999
Doris Lutati, Mevasseret Tzion, Israel

Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 large eggs
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup corn oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 pounds potatoes -- medium
1 medium onion
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 green bell pepper
2 celery ribs
1/2 cup mayonnaise

Hard-boil eggs. In a large bowl whisk together vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper. In a 5-quart kettle cover potatoes with salted cold water by 2 inches and simmer until just tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Drain potatoes in a colander. While potatoes are still warm, peel and cut into 3/4-inch pieces. Gently toss potatoes with dressing until combined well and let cool. (Potatoes will absorb most of dressing.)
Finely chop onion and bell peppers and diagonally cut celery into thin slices. Add vegetables to potatoes and toss well. Chop hard-boiled eggs and add to potatoes with mayonnaise and salt and pepper to taste. Gently stir salad until combined well. Chill salad, covered, at least 8 hours and up to 2 days. Serve salad chilled or at cool room temperature.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 342 Calories; 22g Fat (55.8% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 52mg Cholesterol; 378mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 3 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Well, the title does say "so good", not "so great".
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Correct! We kept our shoes on. ;-)

A little additive I add to my Potatoe Salads is Kraft Whipped Horseradish sauce. I toss in a couple spoonsful just to give a hint of taste. Not to over power and then I tell my guest its an old family secret. To watch them try and figure out what it is something to die for. Its has to be in whipped and not coarse more like mayonaise. I came across this in Germany and it took me along time to figure it out. I remember wanting more after we left party.

I love horseradish, and at Kevin's suggestion, I just ordered a bag of Penzey's horseradish powder. This stuff is amazing. You mix it with water to a paste and add it to whatever. Whatta kick, no additives, and it makes the best cocktail sauce for shrimp. Definitely clears the sinuses.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I just ordered a bag of Penzey's horseradish powder. This stuff is amazing </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Jane (and Kevin). I have not tried this but will orer it on my next purchase from Penzey's.

Ray

I used to work at a salad dressing manufacturer and have found using carmalized onion ranch dressing instead of mayo makes a potato dish (mashed or salad) that people will talk about for a year atleast. you can use basic ranch salad dressing or for a little extra go for salsa ranch and to really fire it up jalapenjo ranch. The sky's the limit with this stuff really.

Back