Brunswick stew

/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Glad _I_ didn't wander by the back door!

I, too, am looking for a good Brunswick Stew recipe and haven't found one yet. Last year I tried one that served 6 people and by the time I finished "adjusting" it, I had 3 gallons of stew that I really wasn't all that wild about. Not one of my major triumphs!

I'd expect that the more smoked meat you added to the stew (chicken, beef, and pork, and/or critters), the better it would be. I agree with Tom - skip the wine. But what do I know?

I was able to scan the Jeff Smith recipe pretty easily, so here it is, along with a few others I've collected but haven't tried yet - I'm a little shell-shocked from the last episode. Good luck and let us know if you come up with a good one.

CHICKEN BRUNSWICK STEW, JEFF SMITH

Makes 8 servings. This is another southern basic. It is really more than an ordinary stew and can be served at a fancy dinner or an informal supper. I must have run across fifteen variations on this dish and I know I have not even begun to hear about the rest of the possibilities.

3 tablespoons bacon drippings
1 chicken, about 3 pounds, cut up
2 cups water
2 1/2 cups canned tomatoes, or fresh, chopped
2 yellow onions, peeled and sliced
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 package (10 ounces) frozen lima beans
1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn Niblets
1 package (10 ounces) frozen okra, sliced
1 cup toasted bread crumbs (Toast in oven on a cookie sheet.)
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco, or to taste

1. Heat a large Dutch oven and add the bacon fat.
Fry the chicken until lightly brown.

2. Add the water, tomatoes, onions, sugar, and wine.
Cover and bring to a simmer.
Cook for 1 1/4 hours.

3. Remove chicken from the pot and allow to cool enough to handle.
Debone chicken and discard skin and bones. Tear meat into small pieces and set aside.

4. Add remaining ingredients to the pot and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered.

5. Add the chicken and cook for another 10 minutes.
Correct the seasoning.

BRUNSWICK STEW WITH CORN DUMPLINGS

This one sounded interesting:

http://southernfood.about.com/library/rec98/bl80111e.htm?terms=Brunswick+Dumplings

This one seems on the right track, although it's really light on the vegetables:

RED'S BRUNSWICK STEW

Makes 20-25 servings.

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Difficulty: Easy

5 pounds ground boneless, skinless chicken
5 pounds ground chuck

5 pounds hickory smoked pork, cut into medium dice
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 (12-ounce) bottle ketchup
2 (16-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
2 (16-ounce) cans corn
1/2 cup hot red pepper sauce, or more, to taste
Salt

1. In a large stockpot, cook chicken and beef for for 1 hour.

2. Add hickory smoked pork, onion, ketchup, diced tomatoes, corn, and hot sauce.
Add salt as needed.
Cook on low heat for 1 hour.

- Recipe courtesy Red's BBQ and Catering Service, Charlotte, NC, Food Network Show # BE1C14.

Here's a link to a bunch of Brunswick Stew recipes on the Cookshack site:

http://www.cookshack.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=000031

recipie my mom sent me -
----------------------------------------------
2 whole chickens - smoked & shredded
3 lb boston butt - shredded
3 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
1 16 oz package frozen whole kernel yellow corn, thawed
2 16 oz packages frozen butterbeans, thawed
2 medium onions chopped
1 32 oz container chicken broth
1 24 oz bottle ketchup
1/2 cup white vineagar
1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon pepper
2 tablespoons hot sauce

throw it in the crockpot for 4-5 hours.

Mac_D,
My quest is over! Please give your Mom a BIG hug and many thanks from me! This is the Brunswick Stew that I've been looking for and the best one I've ever had. It's similar and as good, actually better, than my favorite barbecue restaurant's. The recipe made about 5 1/2 quarts stew. Unfortunately /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif , my daughter absconded with over half of it before I had a chance to hide it! I'm glad she left (barely) enough to tide us over until I can smoke up some more chicken and pork. I'm looking forward to the fun I'll have when I make it again - just another excuse to fire up the old WSM.

The only changes I made were to use 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar instead of the 1/2 cup white vinegar, to humor a "tart/sour-sensitive family member" and to add 1/2 cup of the Cook's Illustrated Simple Sweet and Tangy Barbecue Sauce.

Gratefully,
Rita

Mac_D
Was the 3lb of Boston Butt the unsmoked weight or the smoked weight?

Bill,
In case Mac_D misses your post, I understood the pork in the recipe to be raw weight, since it specified 2 whole (raw) chickens, smoked & shredded.

I smoked a 3.85-pound butt along with the chickens for the batch I made and it worked out very well. I wound up with about 2 pounds edible portion. A little more or less won't make much difference. The next time I do a couple of large butts, I'll be setting aside 2 1/2-3 pounds of the pulled meat in the freezer for my next stew.

Good luck with the stew!
Rita

Pretty sure it is raw weight, since my mom just goes to the local bbq restaurant and picks up 2 lbs of que when she cooks it.

Here's another recipe: even though I'm originally form Western NC, I LOVE everything about Eastern NC Q. The sauce and . . . BRUNSWICK STEW! Although this comes from Caswell Co., it's VERY close, if not identical, to the Brunswick Stew served in Wilson (Parkers), several in Smithfield, Selma, Goldsboro bbq places. BUT it's not at all all soupy. Most folks use whole, drained, home-canned, tomatoes, butterbeans--NOT LIMA--always ACV: if it's not edible with a fork, it's not Brunswick Stew. One more point: rabbit, squirrel--good stuff to go in BS. Regions differ, but just my .02. And to think: there IS something from Eastern NC with a tomato product near it! Eastern NC Brunswick Stew

I'm fond of a smoked ham hock in there. Also, I tend to buy four frozen ears of corn. Cut the corn off and add towards the end. The cobs go in for the long simmer.

Any way you make it the stew freezes well and is wonderful during the winter months.

This is the recipe I have used a few times:

"Get a Husband Brunswick Stew"

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 1/2 pounds ground pork
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 (3 pound) whole cooked chicken, deboned and shredded
3 (14.5 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes with liquid, chopped
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup hickory flavored barbeque sauce
salt and pepper to taste
hot sauce to taste (optional)
1 green bell pepper
3 (14.75 ounce) cans cream style corn
Directions

1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, and saute the onions and celery until soft. Mix in the pork and beef, and cook until evenly browned. Do not drain.

2. Transfer the pork and beef mixture to a large stock pot over low heat. Stir in the shredded chicken, tomatoes and their liquid, ketchup, and barbeque sauce. Season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Place the whole green pepper into the mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2 hours, or until thickened.

3. Stir the cream style corn into the stew mixture. Continue cooking 1 hour, or to desired consistency. Remove the green pepper; chop and return to the stew or discard.

This is a very good recipe. I decided yesterday to make Brunswick Stew but I decided to make a few changes.

Yesterday I smoked a 4 lb. pork butt and a 4 lb. whole chicken. I put them in the freezer over night to cool. This morning I shredded both to replace the meat in the recipe. Instead of the olive oil I diced 6 slices of bacon and cook them until they were crisp. I removed the bacon with a slotted spoon. I sauteed the onions and celery in the bacon grease.

I replaced canned tomatoes with 3 cans of Rotel. You can use all mild, or add a can or two of the hot Rotel. Just a word of warning, if you've never used Rotel the hot really adds quite a bit of heat.

I don't care for ketchup and I make my own BBQ sauce. I used my sauce for the ketchup in the recipe and added 8 oz. of tomato sauce. I also added about 24 oz. of chicken stock because it was a little too thick.

The recipe calls for 3 cans of creamed corn. I like lima beans in mine, so I used one can of creamed corn and bag of frozen succotash.

The smoked meat made all the difference in the world.

Let me know what you think.

Back