Smoked Christmas Goose

SB Branch

This was the first time I have ever cooked, or even eaten, goose. It turned out excellent.

I used a smaller goose, about 7 pounds or so, since I didn't know if I would like it, but the marinade amount is the same I normally use for a 14 pound turkey (although I use apple juice for a turkey).

For the goose, I used the injector marinade below and injected it throughout the bird. Then I smoked it at 325-350 until the breast meat was 165, then removed, wrapped in foil and let sit for about 20 minutes. Smoke wood was cherry. Served with spiced cherry sauce.

Injector Marinade:
1 cup 100% cherry juice
1 cup melted butter
1/2 tsp sage
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp pepper

Simmer all ingredients for about 15 minutes, let cool slightly, then inject in bird.

Spiced cherry sauce:
1 cup Port
1/2 tsp star anise seed
1 teaspoon juniper berries
1 teaspoon whole allspice
5 whole cloves
1 piece fresh ginger, about 1-inch long
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
1 orange, peel cut in large strips
1 cup dried cherries, divided
2 cups goose stock or chicken broth

To prepare the sauce, coat a stockpot with Port and place over medium heat. Bring up to a simmer then stir in the spices and orange peel. Add 1/4 cup dried cherries and simmer to reduce the alcohol, about 5 minutes. Add the goose stock and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Strain the sauce into a smaller saucepan to remove the solids. Add remaining 3/4 cup of dried cherries and serve.

I had to add cornstarch to thicken up the sauce slightly, but it tasted just as good afterwards.

Original idea found here:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec...ng-recipe/index.html

Enjoy.

OK - that probably makes it easier to recreate the good results you had.

I'm looking forward to trying things like this. Thanks for posting.

Back