Virginia > Gordonsville: BBQ Exchange

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
Anybody tried this one? Large Rotis cooker in back, lots of lump and hickory. I knocked on the door after hours and found four folks cleaning the place from top to bottom. That got my attention. They offered to get Chef. Chef? Yep culinary institute trained and 25+ years experience. Several interesting sauces...pumpkin rolls...looks very good and all scratch made. I was unable to stop the next day for lunch...will have to try on next trip north. Just north of Charlottesville.

Been there, done that. Had the pulled pork which was very good, ribs were very tasty but, for me a little heavy on the smoke taste -I altered the taste with a small amount of a medium sweet sauce. Corn bread and the pumpkin muffin were both the best I've had anywhere. Cole slaw and potato salad were both good. Beans were unusual, but, tasty. I had the "hot" cole slaw. Yep, Craig and his wife, BOTH are CIA trained and he is currently an Exec Chef at a nearby "four star". All the info was shared during a "tour" of the charcoal stack and the rows of hickory under the shed with the "beast" (as they call the cooker). That thing is huge and made by Craig's brother in law. You're right, the place is almost too clean, IMO disqualified to be a BBQ "Joint"!! "George" is an interesting guy as well. He knows the operation inside and out - you'll know him by his greeting when you enter the restaurant. Go there when you have a chance, I'm sure you will enjoy. We intend to stop by again on the next trip to C'ville.

Back