3 tb minced shallots
2 tsp dry mustard
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
3/4 cup whipping cream
--
3 tb white wine vinegar
12 large eggs
--
6 3/4 inch thick slices brioche loaf or egg bread, lightly toasted, each slice cut in half on diagonal
8 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
3 large egg yolks
3 tb chopped fresh dill
Fresh dill sprigs (optional)

Combine shallots & mustard in medium saucepan. Gradually whisk in wine. Boil over high heat until mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup, whisking often, about 10 minutes. Whisk in cream. Season with salt & pepper. Fill large bowl with cold water. Bring large skillet of water to boil; add vinegar. Reduce heat to medium low. Working with 6 whole eggs at a time, crack eggs open & add to simmering water. Cook until whites are set, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer 1 egg at a time to cold water. Reserve skillet with vinegar water. Place 2 toast triangles on each of 6 plates. Top with smoked salmon. Bring vinegar water to simmer. Transfer cream sauce to top of double boiler over simmering water. Whisk 3 raw egg yolks into cream sauce. Whisk constantly until sauce thickens and instant read thermometer inserted into sauce register 160 F, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Add chopped dill and whisk 1 minute. Using slotted spoon, gently transfer poached eggs, 1 at a time, from bowl of cold water to skillet of simmering vinegar water. Cook eggs until warm, about 30 seconds. Using slotted spoon, transfer 1 poached egg to each toast triangle. Spoon sauce over. Garnish with dill sprigs if desired.

Originally from an article by Lane Crowther, April 2003 Bon Appettit

Keri:

Eggs benedict is one of my favorite dishes to eat and prepare. My favorite Hollandaise includes a teaspoon of Tabasco, a 1/4 t of cayenne and the juice of one lemon in addition to the ingredients you have listed. Just a thought for your bbq judges.
icon_wink.gif

I agree, this is one of my favs.
I use croissant for the bread, split and warmed in the oven
Hollendaise (sometimes Maltaise [with orange jiuce]) and like Keith, a good dash of Tabasco is key.
I also add capers, just a few.

I can't say its my own invention, I used to order "Lulu's eggs" from Lulu's Alibi on Sawtelle (LA) after a big night out, great hangover cure.

morgan

Another nice twist is to use sourdough planks (bias cut slices). The Captain Cook in Anchorage, AK used to serve a Western Benedict. Sourdough plank, smoked salmon slices, two eggs and Hollandaise. What a treat that was.

this is a great recipe, there is a place in san francisco that sells this as breakfast special. 18.95 a plate.

Keri,
Great recipe. The coffee shop of the Desert Inn in Las Vegas had a dish similar to the called Eggs Rothchild. They used lox instead of Canadian Bacon for the Jewish peopel who would saty at the hotel. Even though I am not of the faith I love lox so I would go over there from the Stardust and get it occasionally. The waitress always looked at me funny. An acquired taste,I guess.

Back