Grates & Ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Considering the size of the grates on the WSM, can you get a whole slab of ribs on it.
rolleyes.gif

I placed a full slab on mine the other day, albeit a tight fit. You can always use rib racks, or roll the ribs.

Of course you can always buy another WSM. A man cannot have enough cookers. The neighbors or company might drop by.
biggrin.gif

Take care.

Marvin..

I trim my spares to 16-18"..the chine bone and the ends of the rack go below on the lower grate. You should be able to squeeze 2 on one grate...don't worry if the lid touches the racks of meat.....those ends will be pretty well done by time you are through.

For baby back's, you can bend those racks and fit 3-4 on one grate.

The rib racks are great, but you must be sure your meat will fit across. I have done 10 racks on my WSM! 5 on top and 5 on the bottom. I used my other smoker for the trim pieces.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!

Stogie

I've had very good success rolling baby back ribs on the WSM. Just bring the two ends together, meat side out, and run a bamboo skewer through the two ends and out the other side of the slab. Then adjust the ends so they don't touch, which allows them to take on nice color and not get splotchy as will happen if the meat touches. I've cooked 8 slabs in the WSM this way.

If cooking just a few slabs of ribs and using a rib rack, you can put a slab in one slot and run the remainder of the slab back into another slot. You can see a couple of pictures of this on the Spare Ribs page.

Regards,
Chris

Chris,
What model rib rack is that in your pictures?
Thanks.
Brian

The rib rack shown in the pictures on the Spare Ribs page is an older version Weber wire rib rack. The newer version has rounded ends rather than the squared off ends you see in the pictures, but is otherwise the same. They are commonly available where Weber products are sold, or can be ordered from Value America via the "Weber Store" link on the web site home page.

In the pictures on the Baby Back Ribs page, the old Weber Premium Rib Rack is shown, which was a really nice and well made 8 slot unit with removable slots and a porcelain frame. Unfortunately, it wasn't a very big seller and was discontinued. Fortunately, I had the foresight (luck?) to acquire two before their demise.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back