Guajillo Replacement?

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

Any suggestions for a Guajillo replacement in a rub? This isn't something I can readily get here. Also, ratio for replacement would be great if it isn't 1:1.

Thanks,

JDH

Go to Penzeys.com they have them exactly, then you won't have to worry about substitutions
icon_smile.gif
Or silkroadspices.com they have them in your area.hope this helps.

Kevin,

I have Ancho, Chipotle, Aleppo, hot, smoked paprika & Birdseye chilis but I'm pretty sure the last is a little strong.

I have traditional chili powder and paprika as well.

JDH

Ancho is probably your best bet. It's similar in heat index, as well as flavor. A guajillo does have a subtle fruity overtone that will likely be missing, but you may be able to mimic it with another dry ingredient.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Harvey:
Kevin,

I have Ancho, Chipotle, Aleppo, hot, smoked paprika & Birdseye chilis but I'm pretty sure the last is a little strong.

I have traditional chili powder and paprika as well.

JDH </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remember (and some here may not know) that chili powder is actually a mixture of powdered dried chili (of some type) and other spices including cumin. So you don't really know what you are using.

I like to use actually dried chilis instead of powders. It's something to try if you haven't. I can't swear it will all work out, but it's worth trying. I particularly have one recipe that just sings with 3 or 4 Anchos rather that the six tablespoons of powder it asks for.

Guajillos are dried Marisols with a Scoville rating of 2500 to 5000 -- relatively mild. I would try either Anchos or mild New Mexico chills.

And remember, when the Hispanics came up with their recipes, they often used whatever chili was then available -- it's modern cooks who have specified the ONE chili THEY use. I have no hesitation any more about trying whatever or mixing whatever. Of course, I don't pay much attention to the heat except for habaneros...

Rich

Back