Best BBQ Pizza

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
In my concept of pizza, the crust must star. In thinking about BBQ pizza, the best topping would possibly be very thin sliced butt. Sort of like pepperoni? or thin sliced Italian Sausage?

Would a thin coat of tomato BBQ sauce be best? or none at all?

Thin sliced onion and your favorite melting cheese. My best luck is with provolone.

Any BBQ pizza pros with some thoughts? Thanks

Steve, If you have any Hickory smoked salt, that works really well in the crust. I use 2.5 tsp for 40 oz of dough. Cheese you'll want very mild to highlight/accent the butt and not over power it. Something soft, and mild, a good goat cheese comes to mind. Sauce I'd mix a little BBQ sauce in to your reg pizza sauce just for a hint of BBQ flavor, will be easy to overpower the pizza with BBQ sauce flavor, keep the sauce in the backround. Butt out front, cheese second and BBQ sauce flavor third with some hickory from the salt making you scratch your head. JMO, HTH
icon_smile.gif

Hi Steve. My oldest son used to work at a pizza parlor, and the BBG version had crispy bacon crumbled Italian sausage, diced pepperoni,onion,provolone, and a Italian garlic BBG sauce made by IL PRIMO. http://www.eathot.com/
They also do a white pizza, ranch dressing,chicken, bacon, and fresh mozz. Caramelized onions and a Alfredo sauce, instead of the ranch work too.
Timothy

My son likes a light coating of Blues Hog sauce with pulled pork, then a corn salsa (roasted corn, onion, cilantro and jalapeno). Cheese is whatever is on hand.

Back