Homemade Cherry Ice cream

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
The following recipe is from The Prudhomme Family Cookbook. It's for Cherry ice cream and, I have to say, it is the best ice cream I've ever eaten. Make sure to read through the directions thoroughly before doing it (i've copied them verbatim). It can be a big disaster if you don't...trust me, I know from experience.
icon_razz.gif

"Homemade Cherry Ice Cream"

4 egg yolks
1.25 C. sugar, in all
1/8 t. salt
2 C. half-and-half
2 cups heavy cream
4 egg whites, cold
1 t. vanilla extract
1 recipe Cherry base sauce, (preferred; recipe follows), or 1 (6-oz) jar maraschino cherries, drained and finely chopped, with juice reserved

Ingredients for cherry base

1 lb. fresh Bing cherries, in all, seeded and cut into quarters (heaping 2.5 C cherry meat)
.5 C. sugar
1.5 t. vanilla extract

For the ice cream

In a large mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks, 1 cup of the sugar, and the salt; beat vigorously with a large spoon until very light colored and creamy, about 6 minutes. Gradually add the half and half and cream, mixing until smooth.
Place the egg yok and cream mixture in the top of a double boiler over boiling water (top pan must never touch the boiling water). Turn heat to medium and cook until mixture reaches 190 degrees F, about 11 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and pour mixture into a large bowl. Let cool slightly, then refridgerate until well chilled, about 2 hours.
Once the mixture is chilled, place the egg whites in a large howl of an electric mixer and beat on high speed until peaks form, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in the remaining quarter cup sugar, pushing sides down with a rubber spatula. Pour the chilled egg yolk and cream mixture into the egg whites, stirring well. Stir in the vanilla.
If using fresh cherries, now add half the cooled cherry base sauce or, if using maraschino cherries, add half the cherries plus all their juice. Freeze in an ice cream machine according to the machine directions for about 10 minutes. Add the remaining cherry base sauce, or the remaining maraschinos, and freeze until ice cream is hard, about 20 minutes more (depending on machine). Serve immediately, or spoon into a tupperware container and cover with a layer of cling wrap to prevent ice crystals from forming.

For the cherry base sauce:

Place 1.5 cups of the cherry meat in a food processor and process about 1 mintute until pureed, pushing sides down with a rubber spatula.
Place the puree in a 1 qt. saucepan with the sugar and vanilla, stirring well. Place over high heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Add the remaining heaping 1 cup cherry meat and return mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Cover pan, remove from heat, and let sit about 10 minutes. Remove lid and cool slightly, then refridgerate until ready to use. Makes 1.66 cups.

This sounds like a great recipe. Unfortunately my daughter is allergic to eggs, ice cream is how we found out. Non custard style recipes never quite turn out the same.

Back