Just purchased a new Food Saver. What other uses are there for it?

Mike P.

TVWBB All-Star
I found a V2244 on Amazon (thru this site's link) for $60.00 with free shipping, but the wife HAD to have one today for getting chopped veggies and such ready for Thanksgiving in advance. Ended up with a V2222 from Wally World for $80. It did have a bunch of bags included.

Just the wife and I here now and when doing a Boston Butt or packer's cut brisket it will sure come in handy.

I've thought about putting a couple of survival kits together with it.

Has anyone found some other uses for it besides food storage?

Thanks!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
i've stored some old coins in a small sleeve...

Thanks Jim, I can see where that would contribute to keeping the coins in a good condition. Looks like I get to play with the new toy again!
icon_biggrin.gif

I really like the wide mouth ball jar lid sealing attachment for storing items like brown sugar...stops the caking.

Also, I bake a lot, so store several pints of yeast under vacuum. Found you can buy 4 lbs of yeast for almost the same price as one little packet of three.

I pack toiletries for camping storage...i.e. toothbrush (new)

We use ours for resealing whole coffee beans in the freezer, as well as toiletries for trips to prevent/contain leaks, and for marinating steaks & bs chicken breasts before grilling. Marinating this way takes less time and seems to help the marinade penetrate the meat a little better.

My daughter & I even crushed an empty Coke can with it.
icon_biggrin.gif

I use mine for sealing food to cook sous vide.
I've had no problems since I started to make three seals on each end of the bag.

Also- I have a friend who likes to wrap the christmas present he gives me so it takes a long time to open- lots of gaffatape and paper.
I'm looking forward to my revenge this year, when he gets his present wrapped in several layers of vacuum-sealed bags, with half a cup of water added to each bag
icon_smile.gif

I'm a sucker for marked down meat at Kroger. I'll go in to pick up a $5 item and walk out with $100 worth of "stale" meat.I freeze it for an hour and then bag it with the label inside the package.

In the winter, I love to do ribs but it's pretty hard (impossible) to find Apple Cider to baste them with. I buy it this time of year and freeze it in shallow containers. It comes out flat and stores nicely in bags. This also applies to any liquid left overs.

My other hobby is "painting the sky with glorious colors".
icon_smile.gif

That same Foodsaver does an excellent job of protecting fuse and moisture sensitive items.

As far as I have found out, the best practise is to "semi-freeze" the meat. The problem with unfrozen meat is that you will get problems with liquid that is drawn out of the bag, and the Food saver will not be able to seal the bag.
The area where the seal is made needs to be dry. Furthermore the foodsaver pump is not fond of liquids, and this can happen if you're not careful.
You could make a barrier in the bag in front of the meat with some paper towels to soak up the moisture, but partly frozen meat is easier to work with.
If the meat is totally frozen, it's harder to get all the air out, as well as you can experience a problem with punctured bags.

Originally posted by Geir Widar:
I've had no problems since I started to make three seals on each end of the bag.

Also- I have a friend who likes to wrap the christmas present he gives me so it takes a long time to open- lots of gaffatape and paper.
I'm looking forward to my revenge this year, when he gets his present wrapped in several layers of vacuum-sealed bags, with half a cup of water added to each bag
icon_smile.gif

Foodsavers also work well for vacuum sealing your mother in law's car keys when she isn't looking. Um... so I've been told
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Jerry P.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geir Widar:

icon_smile.gif

Foodsavers also work well for vacuum sealing your mother in law's car keys when she isn't looking. Um... so I've been told
icon_smile.gif
. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great idea Jerry, Now if I could get my MNL's head into one.....

Originally posted by Mike David P:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry P.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geir Widar:

icon_smile.gif

icon_smile.gif
. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great idea Jerry, Now if I could get my MNL's head into one..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFLMAO!!!

great for Ammo storage, Toiletries for camping, vehicles, etc.., collectibles, food (obviously), coins, sealing chip bags, marinating, with the jar attachments possibilities are even more!

Back