Anyone have Stogie's smoked chuck roast recipe?

Jim Babek

TVWBB Pro
I made this quite a while ago and cant find my recipe. I did a search but his personal web page is gone.

Can anyone help?

Thanks guys but these arent the recipe Im looking for. He used to have a website and the chuck roast recipe was very simple but the rub gave great flavor. I know I have it somewhere but cant find it.

Oh yeah, I added my email to my profile.

Doug D posted a link here to his archived website back in November but it seems that too is now gone...
icon_frown.gif

Bill

Chris, you are the man. Thats the web site I was looking for.

I made the chuck roast before, as opposed to the pot roast. It came out delicious. I thought I used a rub recipe that he gave but maybe I am mistaken. I must have used a regular, no sugar, beef rub.

Originally posted by Jim Babek:
I thought I used a rub recipe that he gave but maybe I am mistaken. I must have used a regular, no sugar, beef rub.
Jim, I thought I remembered the chuck roast using the Yum Yum in the one link above and the pot roast recipe using the dry Dressing and gravy mixes, but I could be mistaken also. I had them printed out and searched high and low to find them for you but I just can't seem to find them.
icon_frown.gif

Bryan. I think youre right. Was the Yum Yum a rub with little or no sugar and a lot of cayanne? Thats what I remember about this cook.

Jim, here is what I have in my files from Stogie.

Rita

KEVI'S KING OF THE ROASTS

Worcestershire sauce or A-1 sauce
Horseradish, freshly grated
Yum Yum Steak Seasoning (see below)

Rub the sauce on the entire roast, then apply horseradish and finally sprinkle with seasoning. Let sit overnight.

YUM-YUM STEAK SEASONING (Makes about 1/2 cup)

4 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper, coarsely ground
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon turmeric

Mix together and use on any beef. I put that Yum-Yum thru my burr grinder and it powderizes it. Very fine and a little goes a long way. I use Kosher salt which actually will give me less salt after grinding to a powder. I coarse chop the black pepper for measuring purposes. Mine is also a dark reddish color.

COOKING INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALL RECIPES: Allow roast to come to room temperature. Pre-heat oven to 200º. In a large roasting pan, on the stove top over 2 burners, brown the rib roast on all sides. This will take about 8–10 minutes to do, yes..... it is very awk-ward to do! About 1/2 cup of fat should render out during this process. Remove the roast from the pan and place a wire rack in the bot-tom of the pan. Set the roast on this rack. Place the roast in the oven and cook for 30 minutes per pound...it will take about 3 1/2 hours for a 7 pound roast. Meat temp should be around 125º for rare, 135º for medium rare. When removing from the oven, cover loosely with foil and let rest 20 minutes. This will allow the temp to go up another 5-10º and will allow the juices to re-distribute.

To make your AuJus, add some beef broth or red wine to the roasting pan, heat up and scrape the bits from the bottom of the pan. Let this mixture reduce by 1/2.

Horseradish Dipping Sauce

1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons horseradish
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Mix all ingredients together and then chill.

Peppercorn Sauce (Makes about 1 1/4 cups)

1 cup beef broth, use some drippings from the roasting pan when making
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water, cold
1 small bay leaf(s) 1/8 teaspoon thyme, dried 1/3 cup wine, dry red 10 black peppercorns

Crush the peppercorns.

Dissolve the 1 tablespoon of cornstarch in the water and then mix into the beef broth.

Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Boil until sauce thickens, about 1-2 minutes.

Add bay leaf and thyme and cook about 15 minutes over medium heat, until the mixture is reduced to 1 cup.

Lower heat and add wine and peppercorns. Simmer for 5 minutes.

Discard the bay leaf before serving. — Stogie

Here is a clone of the seasoning Outback Steakhouse uses on their steaks or any beef. It is very good and should go well with any beef.....

YUM-YUM STEAK SEASONING (Outback Steakhouse Clone) (Makes about 1/2 cup)

4 tablespoon(s) salt
2 tablespoon(s) paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper, coarsely ground
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon turmeric

Mix together and use on any beef. I put that Yum-Yum thru my burr grinder and it powderizes it. Very fine and a little goes a long way. I use Kosher salt which actually will give me less salt after grinding to a powder. I coarse chop the black pepper for measuring purposes. Mine is also a dark reddish color.

I have also gone to a wet rub (for brisket). I am using some of the Country Bob's All-Purpose Sauce and horseradish and my Outback Steakhouse seasoning...VERY good results! (Country Bob's is like a sweetened A-1 steak sauce. I know him and have about a hundred "free bottle" coupons. His web site is www.countrybobs.com He has a store locator and will send you free coupons as well.)

I have also started cooking the flats only. They only take about 1 hour/lb. and there is damn near no waste on them.. — Kevin Taylor (Stogie)

Back