Beef Stew with Fresh Rosemary

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
It's the cold again and everyone in my house wants soups, stew, hot pasta, chilli & casseroles.

I started with the trimmings from a hacked up chuck roll and added fresh rosemary along with the usual stuff and served it with hot baking powder biscuits.

I've only made a few pots of stew but I made this one yesterday and it was awesome! I broke the biscuits up and threw them in my bowl. Yumm.

Beef Stew with Fresh Rosemary
3 lbs chuck roast (blade roast) well trimmed and cubed 3/4" to 1"
1 jumbo onion diced
1 Tbsp fresh finely chopped rosemary
couple of Tbsp fresh finely chopped parsley, leaves only
2 - 3 cloves fresh minced garlic
3 - 4 large carrots sliced
4 - 6 celery stalks, sliced, keep any celery stock greens and chop them up fine, use them too
about a dozen potatoes start with 10, peeled or not, diced big (I cut a medium one into 3 or 4)
around 10 C water & beef bullion , I used Bovril
about 1 C flour

In large pot brown cubed meat over medium high heat with a couple of Tbsp of vegetable oil. Keep going until the liquid is very nearly gone. Throw in onion and garlic. Continue browning until the onion has softened. Remove from heat.

Add 8C water and bullion. Start with half amount on bullion instructions for 8C water. Adjust amount for you. Return to heat and bring to a nice simmer.

In gravy shaker add 1/2C flour and COLD water, shake well to remove lumps. Add flour mixture to pot, stir well. Let the stew simmer a bit stirring occasionally. Check thickness. If it's too thin add some more flour mixture, if too thick add a bit of water. When happy with thickness, adjust bullion again if required, salt and pepper to taste.

Throw in remaining ingrediants (ingrediants should be fully immersed in stew) and let it simmer for a couple of hours, stirring occassionally. Not too high or it can burn especially if it's thick. Cook till the potatoes are done, but not disintegrating.

Feeds 15 people. Could use less water, flour, bullion, potatoes & veggies, but I try to stretch it a bit.

Back