Any grills made in USA?

G

I just received a Weber Genesis Platinum last week. I was throwing the box away and noticed that it said, "made in China." I had considered purchasing the Jenn-Air Stainless gas grill that Lowes sells until I learned that it was made in China. I am sick to know that my new grill came from China, but I don't know if any are made here anymore.

Well, that's news to me. Maybe our Chicago area members can check it out but I've always thought that Weber was absolutetly US made. If true, that would make me a little sad, but I would still buy the product.

Paul

Geez, I hope it was just the box that was made in China...
icon_frown.gif

I picked up a Genesis Platinum C yesterday & looked all over the box & couldn't find anywhere that said "Made in...." I did see a few spots that just had USA, but I didn't see anywhere that had China.

I sent Weber an e-mail after reading John's post about his Genesis box saying "made in China". I received a reply, which I quote, in part, as follows:

"ALL OF THE WEBER GRILLS ARE MANUFACTURED IN PALATINE, ILL."

Paul

Ok, I was just tearing down my box to throw away, and found one of the smaller inside boxes that had the Made in China in small letters below P/N: 87891 Description: Genesis Gold/Platinum. I don't remember what was in that smaller box, but I'm thinking that's all that may have come from China.

Greg

Maybe a fortune cookie ?
icon_smile.gif
I'm the one that got the e-mail back from Weber. I hope they can hang in there because "there ain't many of them left".

Paul

Originally posted by Greg Williams:
Ok, I was just tearing down my box to throw away, and found one of the smaller inside boxes that had the Made in China in small letters below P/N: 87891 Description: Genesis Gold/Platinum. I don't remember what was in that smaller box, but I'm thinking that's all that may have come from China.

Greg

That must be where I saw the "made in China" also. I couldn't remember where it was, but just that I had seen it when unpacking the grill.

I'm glad to know it is made in America. If we don't stop buying all of these imports, we're all going to be in trouble.

Weber buys some of it's components from outside the US, including China. I think the main components are US, but I'm not really sure which are US or foreign. It's still essentially an American grill.

A lot of companies are contracting with Chinese companies (Nexgrill and Grand Hall, to name a couple) to provide inexpensive grills with high-end names on them. Jenn-Air, Charmglow, Ducane, etc. If country of origin is important to you, look the box over carefully before you buy.

I mail ordered my grill so I had no box to look over.

If you aren't concerned about the exploding number of products coming from China then you should be.

John,
I have just received my Genises Platinum B lp grill via Amazon.com. The only box that I found that has printed "made in China" is the box that contains the front doors. I was dissipointed, but they look to be of good quality.
Regards,
Ed

In the Weber Charcoal Grill forum, Ron C. posted a link to an interesting LA Times article about Weber:

LA Times Weber article

One comment I found interesting:
"We think there is something valuable that the consumer gets if we have our hand on the manufacturing," says Jim Stephen, about why the company keeps most production here at home.
Regards,
Chris

I know for a fact most of Webers parts are good ole USA. I would think things like rivets or plastic wheels could be injection molded anywhere though. Funny tidbit....I grew up in Hoffman Estates IL and little did I know my good friends parents own an o-ring company that supplies Weber with all their o-rings for their gas grills. They also supply John Deere and many other companies. I really think Weber prides itself on being one of the last products to really deserve the "Made In USA" stamp.

When checking Government regulations on what is required to have a label of "made in USA", the wording can be very loose at best.
The subject I was looking up was Motorcycles. I had a Honda Valkyrie that was made in Marysville, OH. On a tour of the plant, they said that My year of production was 82% Made in USA. I figured that it would have been a higher % to have the Made in USA tag on it, but it doesn't. The wording was VERY loose IMHO as to the % needed.
One of the most popular "Made in USA" Icons left is a Harley, and they are using more and more import parts now.
Myself, I work hard for my $, and I look for the best value for my buck, and hope it has a USA label on it. If it doesn't, well, maybe the CEO's and the Board should take some wage and perk cuts so they can spend more on R & D, or better materials to build their products. Sorry, a litle nerve twitched there.

Bob, Made in USA Take this link to a site that explains the Made in USA criteria.

Some of the criteria for Made in Usa depends on the value of the parts and also how important the part is to the final product (not worded well).

In other words, if Honda makes the frame, engine, and transmission in the US, that's the bulk of a motorcycle. If it uses imported tires, wheels, handlebars, braks and clutch handles, etc. Those are not the main parts of a motorcycle, and they can claim it's Made In The USA. Or they can use a qualification, such as '80% AMerican Made' or something.

I read a number of years ago that the Honda Accord could have been labeled as an American car, but the Japanese felt that would cheapen it's image for quality, so they elected not to do it.

American Made Grills... check out this link:

MHP Grills

A small propane company near me used to sell all the Weber Gas grills. Today I stopped in to pick up some smoke wood, and there wasn't one Weber grill in the place, (except for the WSM, the Q and the Kettles). The owner said that Webers availability was so universal now that he just couldn't compete with the Lowes, HD, etc.

These MHP grills were impressive. Beautiful SS Grates and side-by-side burners, not front-to-back like Weber. Price was very competitive, and made in USA.

Originally posted by Tom Ferguson:
American Made Grills... check out this link:

MHP Grills

A small propane company near me used to sell all the Weber Gas grills. Today I stopped in to pick up some smoke wood, and there wasn't one Weber grill in the place, (except for the WSM, the Q and the Kettles). The owner said that Webers availability was so universal now that he just couldn't compete with the Lowes, HD, etc.

These MHP grills were impressive. Beautiful SS Grates and side-by-side burners, not front-to-back like Weber. Price was very competitive, and made in USA.

Tom, the way I hear it, Weber keeps a very tight control over retail pricing, making it difficult for dealers to undercut one another on Weber grills. A small retailer should be able to compete with larger retailers.

But the other side of the coin is, Weber is so successful, the price they set gives the retailers a smaller margin than other grills. So I have to assume your shop's decsion was that they could make more money selling other products at a higher markup. I don't feel very sorry for them.

I have heard of MHP grills, the company has been around a long time, but I haven't heard much from people who actually own their products. I have no idea how reliable they are.

Back