Pro versus Backyard

E Sassak

TVWBB Member
Could someone please explain the difference between a pro and backyard comp venue? Tried to find that info at KCBS but could not locate it on the site.

I actually just got done doing my first backyard comp, so let me try to explain.
The backyard competition typically consists of novice or amateur competitors. The competition itself typically consists of only cooking two meats, usually chicken and ribs, which means that you do not have to devote an entire night to cooking. In my competition I set up in the morning and the meat turn ins were done by 2:30 pm. The entry fee is typically lower for the backyard and there may or may not be cash prizes.

The pro category on the other hand is an all night and day competition, usually cooking 4 meats(brisket, pork, pork ribs, and chicken). Cash prizes are larger for the pros.

I hope that helps you out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by E Sassak:
Could someone please explain the difference between a pro and backyard comp venue? Tried to find that info at KCBS but could not locate it on the site. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In addition to what Phil wrote. Many times backyard comps have open judging. This means that the cook stands in front of the judging table and listens to the judges comments. This can be very beneficial to learning what the judges are looking for. The venue, per say may be identical to a pro comp. The one I am attending this weekend has 40 pro teams and 8 backyard teams all inter mingled in the same location. The pros cook 4 meats as Phill said and the BY cook 2. The entry fee is acout 1/2 for the backyard and trophies are the prize. Many rookies are intimidated by the Pro division but if you have done your homework, learned some timing and have a team mate, I would suggest entering a pro contest, cook 2 meats and have your mate cook 2. The educational experience will be well worth it. What you won't get however is the feedback from the judges except in a score.
Mark

Thanks! My brother and I are going to try our hand at it. I feel good about my pork, brisket and ribs. My brother is handy with chicken, brisket and ribs. Plus he has some sauce recipes that bring me tears of joy. It would feel weird to try a comp without pork or brisket. This info is very helpful.

Back