My wind solution

M.Stuart

I completed my first cook last week. I had not done my homework about the significant impact that wind has on the smoker. And it sure was windy. Temperatures in the cooker fluctuated quite a bit (trending low). Took 14 hours to cook, but the pulled pork and brisket that came out of that cooker were as good as anything you can get within 500 miles of where I live.  I made this wind screen out of a full sheet of plywood for my next one. I am completely ignoring the manufacturer's directions for minimum distance from combustible material. Hope I don't start a bonfire.
image.jpg

Looks like it will keep the wind out...nice job!!!

However, I will throw out a word of caution...a strong enough gust on such a large area (one of the sides) could be enough to push it over, which will then push the WSM over.

My advice is to find a way to secure the wind break somehow, maybe cement blocks on the sides around the base?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I had not done my homework about the significant impact that wind has on the smoker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh yeah. I Q on my back walk between my house and a retaining wall. Makes for a wind tunnel on breezy days. A wind break of any sort is your best friend for consistent temps.
Best of luck and welcome to the forum Mr. Stuart.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack Bordeaux:

My advice is to find a way to secure the wind break somehow, maybe cement blocks on the sides around the base? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for the advice. I had started brainstorming some ways to brace my simple win break. Some cinder blocks may be just the thing.

Back