Outdoor Kitchen/Bar *****

John Solak

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
In the process of having an outdoor kitchen/bar are made. It was my Wife's idea to get one made, she just said design how it you want it. She said yes to just about everything I suggested except I really wanted a palapa but had to settle for just an awning for now, Maybe later. Of course she had to pick the color of everything.

Seating on both sides, bar height and at the end will be standard counter height with a sink and little prep area.
P1030104.jpg

Right side will have the fridge, microwave and stereo.
P1030110.jpg

Left side will just have a shelf.
P1030111.jpg

What the exterior will look like.
P1030106.jpg

Not much to look at just yet, but its coming along.

John,looking good! What are your countertops going to made of? Just curious. Those outdoor kitchens are a lot of work,but trust me,you'll enjoy the heck out of it!

Originally posted by John Solak:
except I really wanted a palapa but had to settle for just an awning for now, Maybe later.

You may be better off without the palapa (depending on material used). Don't use the palm frond palapas that are weaved together from palm trees. These usually last a couple/3 years and need to be replaced often. I've heard replacement cost of @$500.00 every 3 years!

If you can, get your hands on african marsh reed. Similar look but only needs replacement @ 10 years or so. It's what's used at all the resorts in Hawaii because of the longevity and less maintenance issues.

Just my 2 cents.

When I built mine (myself) I did surround sound taken off the pool house, now connected to the i-touch. Keep in mind mice. Volume control at the grill area and throught the area is priceless, along with cable T.V. Plan for ceiling fan wiring as well. I went with 2 fridges and made a small pad for my Weber Ranch. Multiple sinks along with a built-in Keg-a rator also helps. I guess I should just figure how to post some pic's again.

The guy building ours has a pinched nerve in his shoulder so no progress being made. I bought a marine car stereo that will be built into the bar and be powered with a 120v to 12 power converter. Cable will be ran to it also.

Bill would love to see pics of the one you built.

Looks great John. Did you go with homemade (well, not by you, but by someone) v store-bought because of price, or just bc you wanted it custom?

In terms of the room, my bro in law has a palm "whatever the guy above said" roof and it's lasted about 3 years in NorCal (more rain) and looks like it will last maybe another 2 or 3. There's wear for sure, but its not nasty looking.

Keep us posted!

Originally posted by Tim L.:
In terms of the room, my bro in law has a palm "whatever the guy above said" roof and it's lasted about 3 years in NorCal (more rain) and looks like it will last maybe another 2 or 3. There's wear for sure, but its not nasty looking.

Keep us posted!

Maybe the sun/heat kills it quicker in so cal??

Two types of palapa:
PK_RDPLP9_SA_Reed_Palapa_kit.jpg

south african reed

raincape-thatching.gif

thatch.

Just heard better luck with reed...

That looks very nice John!
But I got a couple of questions for you, I see some outlets and you said you are installing a sink.
But I didn't see any stub outs for power, water or waste. Are you just using one of those self contained sinks which run off a hose? And how is the power being run, with an extension cord?

Tim

I would be a little nervous about grilling under (or near the edge)of one of those covers. They look pretty flamable. Something a little more flame resistant would be my first choice.

Bobby

Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
Bobby,not so much lighter fluid and you'll be fine!
icon_wink.gif

lol! Thanks for the sage advice Phil. With some different brands of lump, I get a bunch of the "forge flies" that come out of the chimney when lighting that would be a little concerning if I was under a dried grass roof. My gasser has the occasional flare up if it gets too dirty that might be a problem too. The roof structures look great though.

Originally posted by Mac McClure:
John,
How about an update on your "oasis".

Yea I agree.
I've done several outdoor kitchens and or bars for clients, and the reason I asked on how you are planning to run water and power is cause in your photos you have a roll of Romex and it also looks like several lenghts of PVC pipe.

Tim

Back