SM Tri Tip (I can still grill)

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
I wanted to make sure everyone knows that I still grill and don't always use the sv tank
icon_biggrin.gif

tri tip procured from O Ottamanelli and Sons, NYC and dusted with garlic salt and pepper

IMG_5259.JPG

I fired up the primo jr a good 1.5 hrs prior to cooking, because I had to take my daughter to skating and I needed it to be ready to go when I got home. IMO, its one of the major advantages to the ceramic, I get it hot well before I need to use it and it waits for me.

Something about the light tonight, but I noticed something that I've never seen before: right above the handle, the word "junior" is cast in the lid. It blends in with the bumps, but its there.
IMG_5267.JPG

I threw on plenty of oak prior to cooking
IMG_5276.JPG

hot off the primo
IMG_5277.JPG

sliced
IMG_5278.JPG

and plated with your traditional SM sides, as prepared by my wife as I froze my butt off at the rink

IMG_5282.JPG

Your photos always look fantastic. I bet you could grill an old shoe and I would want some. Nice job J! Is that a litle parsley in the rub I see?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Might it be better in the sv tank? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sure, it probably would have had less gray, but I was going for max crust, and the center was moist enough to compensate for the overcooked parts. My daughter's "finished" plate was a mess of strips of gray, she only ate the pink and avoided the outside because it had "too much spicy pepper."

As a rule, I don't usually sv anything thinner than a couple of inches. I find a nice long rest on the counter prior to cooking works well enough (especially in the summer when the house is warmer). plus I like a nice crust, and don't want it to overcook before I get that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Is that a litle parsley in the rub I see?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used Penzey's garlic salt, which has a few flakes of green. Normally I go with Kevin's SM rub, but I never got around to tracking it down and I was pressed for time. Plus my wife likes to "follow the recipe" and the standard SM rub is garlic salt, salt, and pepper.

Yeah I was starting to wonder about you...I thought maybe you had sold your grill in favor of the SV tank...haha just joking, great looking tri tip!!!!

Back