Smoking in the rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Vrobel

TVWBB Member
I've got my family invited over on Sunday for my first attempt at ribs on my new Weber Smokey Mountain. The weather report now says that I'm going to get scattered thunderstorms. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on smoking in the rain? I'm planning on forging ahead in spite of the weather. Anything I should look out for?

Mike

Micheal
I'm from Seattle the area and smoking in the
rain is a fact of life, you don't need to do much. The wind is more of a factor, the bottom vent out of the wind is the one you
will open, close the vents in the wind.
Got a butt cooking since 8 am in rain showers and gusts to 15 mph. Butts at 170*
few more hours to go.
Jim

Hi Jim,

I tend to cook out year round which can include some nasty weather(wind and cold temps) in the winter. Steaks and burgers are not a problem because of the high temps. But I suspect that smoking is more sensitive to weather factors. I can't do much abut air temp. However I was thinking of cutting up a 4x8 sheet of exterior plywood, then hinge the sections and place around the WSM. I figure about 12 to 18 inches of space between the plywood and the WSM for air flow.

Have you heard of anyone trying this method?

Thanks

Brian

Bruce
I also cook year around and I live a hill side above the Puget Sound so the wind is a
factor. I have a Easy Up canope and that helps keep rain at bay, but the wind really
effects the pit temps and how long a burn you'll get.
I've use a hinged plywood wind screen and
they help. You need only 3 sides leaving the down wind side open, makes it easier to fill waterpans and any other adjustments to the cooker.
Jim

Thanks Jim and Chris

Somehow I missed the page on cold tempature cooking. Appreciate the feedback.

Jim, a hill overlooking Puget Sound must be a fantastic view!

Brian

Bruce
It's tough duty but someone has to do it.
The view is to the west so we see a couple of large islands, the Olympic Mountain range,
and the sunsets.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Vrobel:
I've got my family invited over on Sunday for my first attempt at ribs on my new Weber Smokey Mountain. The weather report now says that I'm going to get scattered thunderstorms. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on smoking in the rain? I'm planning on forging ahead in spite of the weather. Anything I should look out for?

Mike
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, I started cooking some briskets and some
pork buts this past weekend in the wee early morning hours before day light. It started to rain as the sun came up so I made and emergency run to Wally World and bought two umbrellas that are flexible and attach to chairs. We hooked the umbrellas to the handles on the lids and the smoker was smokin in the rain for about two hours holding 250 in the lid.

Yeah, I was interested in learning about the 10'x10' EZ-Up portable cover versus the Instashade brand, since the Instashade is available at my local Costco for $189. Didn't know if that was a good price or a good brand. Looks like the EZ-Up is the more popular brand, but more money, too.

Don't know if I'll be buying one any time soon, since we're blessed here in Northern California with many dry days for barbecuing.

Regards,
Chris

I've got an E-Z Up ( 3 yrs) and we use it a lot. It's been very good, I believe they come with 3 sides now.
If you do need to replace a part, it's not that expensive and they are very quick to get you those parts.
Jim

I know Weber doesn't suggest it, nor have I seen it suggested here. So I'd like some opinions. What about building or buying a shed to run my WSMs in? If it was lined with fire resistant drywall and something fireproof for the floor. Along with a ventilation system, wouldn't that work? I know this may be a bit of overkill but wouldn't it really be the ideal set-up for year round use? And I'd only cry once! Thanks for any input.

Rick

Mike, may I suggest using your garage...that is where mine is on rainy days or windy days...not to mention the rest of the winter!!
icon_wink.gif

Greg's right, the garage will work in a pinch. But if your garage is attached like mine, you may want to limit your trips in and out of the house via the garage. Although you and I may find the smell of hickory throughout the house appealing, the wife wasn't as thrilled about it.

I really figured there would some strong opinions (pro & con) on my suggestion of building a shed for my smokers. Maybe even some warnings or tips. So ... is it a good idea or a bad idea? I'd appreciate any input.
icon_biggrin.gif

Rick

Rick, Did you look at the link to Bren's enclosure? (My reply... two up) You can see comments people made then, and see his "shed". Also, do a search. There was another topic where people were talking about "rain sheds/enclosures" before he actually built it.

Yeah I did Chris, thanks. That's similar to what I was planning on doing before I started kickin around this full size shed idea. Imagine a set-up like brens, only it looks like a wishing well, with a little roof. I thought that would look nice in the yard and be effective too. But I also like the idea of having a place for my friends and I to kinda hang out, drink a brew, and cook some goodies. All out the weather. Not to mention, a place to store my charcoal, wood, and other cooking utensils. I was just concerned that there may be some factors (smoke, Co2, ventilation) I'm not aware of that would make using shed a bad idea.

Rick

Rick, you are smart to ask. Surely someone else has had a similar thought. I too would be concerned about ventilation. Perhaps you could rig an outside vent to the top vent of the bullet. That would not vent everything but perhaps enough so that you could hang out....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back