Wild Goose Breast recipe

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
Since there have been lots of requests for waterfowl recipes, I thought I'd post my favorite that I created. You can use any type of waterfowl breast for the recipe, but if you use breasts smaller than wild goose breast you'll have to cut down on the cooking time or you'll overcook the meat.

2 wild goose breasts, brined for 1 hour in a water/salt solution and thoroughly rinsed
1 t. green peppercorns
1 t. white peppercorns
1/2-1 cup flour for dredging
Bacon grease for frying (enough to cover the bottom of the pan by 1/8 inch

Inredients for sauce
1/2 shallot
2 cups red wine (I use Merlot)
1.5 cups Beef stock
1 fat tablespoon butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Dry fry the peppercorns in a pan until aromatic, then crush with a mortar and pestle (or wine bottle, whatever). Rinse the breasts well and dry with paper towels. Give them a medium dusting of the pepper on both sides. Really press it in. Do not salt. Then, dredge the breasts in white flour, shaking off excess. Melt the bacon fat in the pan and heat over medium high heat until almost smoking. Place the breasts in the pan and fry the first side about 4 or 5 minutes. Turn the breasts over and fry for 1 minute, then place the whole pan in the preheated oven. Time is about 6 or 7 minutes (when you poke the breast, it will feel as if you're poking your chin with your finger for medium...which is how I like it). Take the pan out of the oven and let the breasts rest on a plate while you make the sauce. Place the same pan you fried the ducks in back on the burner. Add the chopped shallot and a little more bacon fat (if you don't have enough left in the pan...you just want a slight sheen). Then, add the wine and reduce it to no more than 1/4 cup while constantly stiring and scraping up the browned bits from the pan. Add the beef stock, and continue to stir and scrape the pan. Reduce down to a syrupy consistency. Take the pan off the heat, and throw in the cold butter. Swirl the pan around the distribute the butter and get a nice gloss...it should look like a beautiful woman's lipstick. Finally, slice the breast on an angle and arrange them on a place. Drizzle sauce over as you like.
icon_cool.gif

Back