Yet Another Way to use the Smokey Joe Silver

Pat Smith

TVWBB Wizard
I was watching an episode of Diners, Drive-In's and Dives tonight and talking to my wife when suddenly I stopped talking in mid-sentence. A guy was using a Smoke Joe Silver - without the legs - as a stove-top smoker for fish.

He put some wood chips in the bottom of a large metal can - like the Sam's Club sized can of baked beans - then put the can on his stove top. He then sat the SJS, minus the legs, on top of the metal can. He put his fish on the grill grate and then put on the top.

I didn't see how long he smoked the fish, but when they were smoked, he shredded up the fish filets to use in fish tacos.

I thought to myself "Self, that's a neat thing to do with a Smokey Joe!"

Pat

Nice.

Do you remember the name of the episode or the name of any of the places in the episode?

I tried searching for yesterday's shows but that SJS is not in the ones I've looked at on Youtube so far.

Travis, I thought it was on the first of the two episodes that aired last night, but it could have been the second. I almost missed the scene because my wife and I were chatting about something. I'll try to watch again this weekend and see if I can pick up which episode it was on.

Pat

icon_confused.gif
Bummer everytime I try to look at the video I can this message, I'm in Canada but this has never happened before. Anthony

This video contains content from Scripps, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Just be careful about which can you use under the SJ. If it has a soldered seam long the side, the heat from the burner can liquify the solder and the can will come apart. Not cool.

Other than that it's a really neat idea!

Russ

Bummer everytime I try to look at the video I can this message, I'm in Canada but this has never happened before. Anthony

This video contains content from Scripps, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Hot spot shield will get you around that.. stupid crtc... if you google hot spot shield the links should come up and then you can watch any american shows.. like hulu.com etc

Thanks Jonny, worked like a charm, not sure what
I downloaded but it worked great.

Anthony

BTW what part of Canada are U from?

Oh oh, did something to my outgoing mail server
so had to remove but I will be picking up a SJS.

Saw one on the weekend in the park, looked small but will try it to cook for 4 golfers on our next trip.

Anthony

Have decided on the Silver and was wondering the difference on a model with a wooden handle
and the model with the nylon handle, I know the wooden handle is an older model but is there any other differences and is there a downside.

Thanks
Anthony

I just saw this show last night at a friend's house. I have to say, I really liked some of the ideas they had. I had never considered doing something like this, but then I wouldn't really be comfortable doing it without a industrial hood.

Didn't really like the host much, and I guess I'm not alone. I typed "guy fieri is" into Google and let it give suggestions on how the statement should end based on common searches. Hilarity ensued.

to me, wooden handles look and feel great. plastic is just that, plastic. no down side to wood except that you need to treat them with mineral oil once in a while.

Thanks George, I scored the one with the wooden handle for 15$, Its been sitting in a garage
in the original box for 8 years, I will give it a good home..I thgought I heard the bottom vents are better than the newer ones and that the ash catcher is made of a better material.

Anthony

Smoking fish is like cooking ribs; it's an artform. We cold-smoked our fish for 6-8 hours after brining them overnight. Brine is like a rub; it is a prep that can have many variations. The main ingredient - salt - is easy to figure out, just float an egg and it is strong enough.

Now that I have my mini-WSM, I will be experimenting with really low and slow and different kinds of fish (no lake trout or whitefish here) that might work. But it will be done outside, not on a stove.

Anthony - does your SJ with the wooden handle have one bottom vent with four holes, or three bottom vents with three holes each (I think that's right)?

I have one of the older ones with three bottom vents that I haven't put together yet, but I am thinking of using it as the base for my Weber "Mini" Smokey Joe. I THINK that the three bottom vent models would be less likely to have problems with charcoal ash clogging the vents on longer cooks.

Pat

Back