Estimated Cooking Times

Ray Crick

TVWBB Emerald Member
Jamie,

I have always wondered why Weber has not published a chart that estimates cooking times for various meats. In 1970, a friend of mine (who worked as a technical engineer for a chemical company) developed one that I have used ever since,

He took all the various cooking times and meat weights from the available Weber cook books at the time and developed a scatter chart and then drew curves that give a great approximation of cooking times. I have used it successfully with the Weber grill ever since (and even use it for my gasser).

For example, his graph says that for a 17 pound turkey, you cook 12 minutes per pound, and for 5 pound bird you cook 24 minutes per pound. Likewise, for beef or pork weighing 11 pounds, you cook at 12 minutes per pound.

Why don’t you suggest to Weber that they develop such curves and publish them. (BTW – if you want a copy of my chart, send me a separate note to my e-mail in my profile).

Thanks for being on this board. You have obviously “sparked” a lot of energy here.

Ray

Back