stoker on electric smoker

Steve Sullivan

Hey all. Great forum you have here. It was very helpful for me to learn about ATC and smokers.

I have an electric brinkmann (I know, I know I’m not a purist right?) and it lacks any temp control. I’ve attempted to use simple dimmers/hot plate controls on the brinkmann but each had its own disadvantage and still required babysitting. I have two kids so I have to sit them and don’t have the time to constantly watch the smoker. I had been thinking of making my own advanced ATC when I came across the stoker, Amir's program sealed the deal and I had to have it.

Soon I hope to make or buy a real wood / charcoal smoker. WSM is up on the list. But so is a UDS.

Thought some here might be interested in how well the stoker works with an electric smoker.
Once I planned to use the stoker I needed a way to control the heating element instead of the fan. I figured a simple relay would do the trick. A search for the relay proved to be more difficult than I thought because the stoker sends out 5v DC for the blower. Plus 1200 watt is a lot of current. I asked John at Rocks about it and he said he's done it before, he knew of a relay and said he may have a used one in stock. He pulled the relay off a circuit board he had and sent it with his hand written wiring instructions along with the stoker. No extra charge (maybe cause extra food probes were backordered). Great service.

Stoker arrived, I cut the fan off, wired an extension cord to the relay, done.

Works awesome, keeps temps steady as could be.

For those who run the stoker wireless you may want to check out the D-link dwl-g730ap. I had this for travel and it works great as a bridge, router, access point.

Controlling/monitoring the stoker from the office and pda is just awesome.

I have no intentions at the moment of ever going electric, but that was a cool write up!!! Can do attitude sure can get it done. Nice work. And welcome to the board.
Todd

I started using electric for smoking bluefish. I'd make the smoker out of just about anything I could find, hot plate + old grill, whatever. I then bought the cheap brinkmann thinking it would be good, but was seriously disappointed cause of temp control. I used it as a smoke source for a box I made to cold smoke bacon from a pig we had. This year I got into ribs and pork butt. Figure I'll grow up by next year and get into wood/charcoal. Hope I didn't offend anyone!

Great job on connecting to your electric Brinkman -- I had two of those when I first started smoking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Sullivan:
For those who run the stoker wireless you may want to check out the D-link dwl-g730ap. I had this for travel and it works great as a bridge, router, access point.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not very technical, but I like the price of that D-link for setting up as a bridge (compared to other wireless bridges I've seen). Do you think there would be any problems trying to get it to connect to my Linksys router that runs my wireless main network?

Thanks,
Steve

I use a linksys as a slave to my verizon actiontec. Shouldn't be a problem at all. When in client mode and set up properly the pocket router passes the MAC for the device you are connecting to the network. It's a great little device and more useful than just a bridge. I travel for work from time to time. When a hotel only has a wired ethernet in a room it's great to have an access point.

It's an easy setup.

Hey Steve,

Any plans for the cut off blower? I could take it off your hands. I think I got mine too hot.

Roger

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R Addy:
Hey Steve,

Any plans for the cut off blower? I could take it off your hands. I think I got mine too hot.

Roger </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roger - I melted a few of the blades on my fan about the 2nd time I used it (I put the fan in upside down and the little flapper wouldn't close). I called John at Rock's and he replaced it at no charge.

But I did find a place on the internet to order replacement fans (I keep meaning to order a few to have on hand at comps). http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/438462-fan-5vdc-570mah...rocco-fal3f05lh.html

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R Addy:
Hey Steve,

Roger </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roger,

Sorry, I am planning to use the blower when I come up with a charcoal smoker. Think I'm just gonna make a quick connect so I can switch between electric or fire.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Story:
But I did find a place on the internet to order replacement fans (I keep meaning to order a few to have on hand at comps). http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/438462-fan-5vdc-570mah...rocco-fal3f05lh.html </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Steve. Looks like the exact part number.
Looking at the price, I don't think Rock's is making a whole lot of profit on these things.

Roger

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Sullivan:
Roger,

Sorry, I am planning to use the blower when I come up with a charcoal smoker. Think I'm just gonna make a quick connect so I can switch between electric or fire. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good idea.

Roger

Back