sorghum molasses

Lance

TVWBB Super Fan
I was at a restaurant that had sorghum molasses as a condiment and really liked the flavor. I know the normal use is to top biscuits with the sorghum molasses. I really liked the flavor and was wondering if you could use it in a barbecue sauce or would the heat ruin the flavor? I also heard of using the sorghum molasses in molasses cookies but I have no idea about a recipe. I have read a little about sorghum molasses on the internet but other than it comes from Amish country and how to grow it, I haven't found anything helpful. Does anyone know any recipes or great uses for this tasty concoction?
Lance

Lance, I love the stuff. I use it in place of molasses. It reminds me of "KING" syrup, only better. I posted about the use of it in the Barbies Beans recipe thread, in the sides forum.
It goes great on bisquits, pancakes, waffles, BBQ sauce, etc. I get mine online from Fain's.
EDIT: Link to Fain's for you.

Brian,
Thanks for the link. I looked at the price and is it really only $3.95 a jar not including shipping? I think I will try to use sorghum molasses in a BBQ sauce since it sounds like the flavors will stand up to cooking.
Lance

Lance, I get the 3 pack of quarts from Fain's as it comes out to $7.95 a quart with free shipping on the extra 2 quarts. I go through it pretty fast here.
icon_wink.gif

Just don't try the Chinese liquor that's made from sorghum -

IMHO, it's the worst stuff ever (bleah....)

It sounds like the molasses, on the other hand, is worth a try.

Bryan, how would you describe the taste to regular molasses?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron G.:
Bryan, how would you describe the taste to regular molasses? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not bitter at all like Black strap is IMO. It's sweet, but not overly, with a hint of molasses taste. Just Damn good in my book. It reminds me in a way of "King Syrup" if you've ever had that, or something like Dark Karo, only way better. Hope I didn't cornfuse U there.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back